Ecclesiastical Garb and Acts 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the protestant collar was supposed to denote servanthood. It looks like a dog collar or prisoner's shackle for a reason. The pastor wearing it is ordained as a servant of the gospel. Any honor he receives from it should not be due to superiority, but due to the peculiar Christian honor that comes with servanthood.

I've never been part of a church where the pastor wore such a collar. But I have a fondness for the idea of a man ordained to the pastorate wearing it everywhere—services, visits, the supermarket—as a constant sign to others and a reminder to himself that his life is one of a servant to the gospel.

Of course, as the conversation on this thread shows, few people these days see the collar that way. So if I were a pastor I'd probably think twice before actually wearing the collar. But I do like the idea. Viewed as a distinctive and servant-identifying mark, it has some merit.

Your post shows the true heart of a pastor. But from a layman's perspective, the pastor should be viewed as a superior authority. If my pastor gives me some advice, I'm generally going to take it as being the most authoritative insight, unless I can disprove it from the Scriptures. And together with the elders, he is absolutely an authority to be obeyed in the church. I. E., a "superior."

I agree he's an authority too. The collar doesn't denote everything about him. It denotes his relationship to the gospel. He is a servant to God and to the Good News entrusted to him. In that role, he will also act in many ways as a servant to others: "Whoever would be great among you must be slave of all." But this should not imply he gives up spiritual oversight and leadership.

And again, I'm not saying he's required to wear it or even that it'd necessarily be wise for most pastors these days. Just that some aspects of it appeal to me.

I think the only garb a Reformed Protestant pastor should wear at worship services and the celebration of the Lords Supper is a Geneva gown

I for one think he should at least wear something under it . . . a pair of pants, shirt, etc.

But seriously, I see a lot of good reasons for and against the practice (I personally don't care whether it's the Roman collar or not). I have seen good reformed pastors wear it and others not and for perfectly good reasons.

Jack K. I agree he's an authority too. The collar doesn't denote everything about him. It denotes his relationship to the gospel. He is a servant to God and to the Good News entrusted to him. In that role, he will also act in many ways as a servant to others: "Whoever would be great among you must be slave of all." But this should not imply he gives up spiritual oversight and leadership.

And again, I'm not saying he's required to wear it or even that it'd necessarily be wise for most pastors these days. Just that some aspects of it appeal to me.

Thanks, pastor Jack. Most Reformed people probably would bet the heeby jeebies if they saw something like a clerical collar these days, as you seem to have aluded. (I think that includes me.) But I wonder if there might still be situations when it could be a good idea. Ministering in a catholic neighborhood? Riding alone on an airplane? Visiting a hospital? Just a thought.

A simple black gown without augmentation with stole or stripes is a sign of office not a liturgical vestment. This is no different than judges or professors wearing a robe, or the minister preaching from a raised pulpit. Both pulpit and robe fall under “circumstances” of worship, like lighting, pews and psalters; lending dignity to the word and office.

Clerical wear outside of worship is a separate but not Regulative Principle matter. Ministers should wear modest and suitable clothing. If this includes some element signifying his office, this is a pragmatic issue not requiring scriptural warrant. I’ve never worn a collar, but could imagine situations where one might be helpful to identify one as a minister to those in need.

Neither robes nor collars are unseen in the Scottish Free Churches. In the US one must read the cultural landscape in making such choices.

How about wearing a jacket or a polo shirt with the name of your theological seminary blazened on it, when walking around town. Would that set you out as likely a pastor? Would that be a good modern equivalent? Some seminaries sell those.

Like a biker club.

How about wearing a jacket or a polo shirt with the name of your theological seminary blazened on it, when walking around town. Would that set you out as likely a pastor? Would that be a good modern equivalent? Some seminaries sell those.

Like a biker club.

Yeah, that's a great idea. They should all get pastor biker jackets with the name of their denom blazened on the back!

I'm a Baptist minister in South Georgia. If I could get away with wearing a collar and robe, I would. For me there are some real benefits. But, it certainly is not necessary.

Its kind of funny: in my church my choir wears robes every Lord's Day, and I wear a robe when administering the ordinance of baptism, but the thought of their minister wearing a robe to preach... perish the thought!

One thing I do however, is carry my Bible with me whenever I'm "on the job" and when walking, I carry it clutched to my breast like in the picture above. It serves as a visible badge of office that helps to distinguish me in hospitals and other places as a pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back