Ecumenicalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Puritan Board Freshman
Ecumenicalism. I stumbled on a Christian website that claimed Joel Beeke supported ecumenicalism and it showed several photos with him next to other faith leaders. I was quite surprised. Any thoughts on this?

Ecumenicalism. I stumbled on a Christian website that claimed Joel Beeke supported ecumenicalism and it showed several photos with him next to other faith leaders. I was quite surprised. Any thoughts on this?
Gossip is rife on the Internet, even in supposed Christian circles. Use discernment when you read online. Beeke is a winsome but careful Bible teacher. i am sure he keeps strict integrity in all his relationships.

Yes there is "gossip". And there is discussion. Either he is ecumenical or he isn't. It would be interesting to know what his stance was on this.
Personally, I think there is danger in ecumenicalism. There is a movement trying to "unify" all faiths and innocent Godly Christians can and are being misled by this.

Pay careful attention to the context of those photographs. I imagine Beeke is no ecumenicist. Where were the photos taken? Do they look as if they might have been photoshopped? What is the website where they appeared like? Etc., etc.

Um, this has been going on since at least the 1930s. This is an established position. There's Ecumenicalism as a mid-modern movement that, in the name of brotherhood, seeks to blur distinctions across all religions, hence making them meaningless; then there's ecumenicalism that's more nuanced.

George Marsden notes the anti-intelectualism of the 1800s that reduces all of Christian faith to litmus tests and "decisions for Christ" and disparages anyone who doesn't fall into line. It's this anti-intellectual aspect of fundamentalism that Dr. Machen et al rejected.

Mr. Marsden suggests that a charitable ecumenicalism draws from the strength of other streams of Christian thought even if the "sides" have strong disagreement on points. That would, for example, lead a reformed individual to embrace CS Lewis even if he believes in a kind of purgatory. That same individual may have warm fellowship with the local synagogue, not out of a belief in the equality of religion, but a recognition that we draw from the same OT scriptures and that the older tradition might yet have insight into that ancient text. I would not be at all surprised to find reformed leaders who take this charitable position.

A cautious acceptance of this stance broadens one's perspective, though care must be taken to sidestep weaknesses such as a diminished view of the fall which credits all men with the ability to think up their own viewpoints without being informed by scripture.

Last edited:
A mere claim that someone is "ecumenical" is not very meaningful by itself. There is good ecumenism and bad ecumenism, depending on how widely inclusive it is and on the level of cooperation/fellowship. Learn the details before jumping to conclusions.

Personally, I've been invited to speak at all sorts of venues including Adventist and Catholic ones, and at officially secular ones like public schools, and I've accepted. I have some strong areas of disagreement with my hosts in some of those cases, but I've still been friendly and respectful. In a sense, I'm being ecumenical, but in a larger sense I'm not.

Moderating:

I have discussed this on the moderators forum. Because the concerns about Dr Beeke are from vague website sources, and nothing substantial could be proven, I have decided to close this thread to eliminate gossip.

Please note two things:
1. When you make comments criticising a public figure, remember the Puritan Board rules re the 9th commandment.
2. It is not helpful to make vague assertions. If you make a criticism of a public figure use credible sources of information and be specific about your concern. And make sure the criticism is appropriate per no '1' above.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back