Ecumenism in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
Some years back, the last pope visited Scotland and was publically welcomed as a 'fellow Christian' by a Scottish Presbyterian Minister, who is considered by some to one of the foremost Christian thinkers in Scotland. The details of which can be found Here.

Aside from the article mentioned in the above link, little was said in opposition to the remarks made. This week, four years later, the same Minister is referring to Roman Catholics as 'brothers and sisters,' in a letter to a website local to our Island Here.

For the avoidance of any misunderstanding, I accept that some Roman Catholic people may be saved, despite and not due to the teaching of the RC Church.

My concern, however, is that there is an agenda for ecumenism from some within the Scottish church, who are held in high regard by many within reformed circles. This agenda has been left unchecked, no discipline has been brought to bear on the matter from within the denomination to which the minister belongs. The agenda may or may not be held to by many ministers, nonetheless left unchallenged, you have to wonder where this could lead the church in a country, which is already very much on the spiritual decline.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on the above, as to a practical and Biblical response.

Many thanks

According to the Larger Catechism's explanation of the scriptural teaching on God's Law, "Sins receive their aggravations... From the parties offended: if immediately against God, his attributes, and worship; against Christ, and his grace; the Holy Spirit, his witness, and workings" (Q.151). Such ecumenical overtures upon the purported basis of "traditional Christian values and morality" sweep the most grievous of sins, those committed directly against the Lord and his Christ, under the rug. The only remedy to this error is for Christians to recover a proper view of sin and the heinous nature of heresy:

"If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him?"
(1 Samuel 2:25)
"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."
(Matthew 12:31-32)
"Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"
(Hebrews 10:29)

This is very sad and reveals the level of declension in the Free Church of Scotland. I do not know how David Robertson can persist in his comments regarding Rome be it in the form of blogs, letters, or on national radio and still receive no discipline. The very fact his vows before God have been broken time again exposes the reality of lack within the Free Church today. I say these things with a heavy heart as one who attended their College and having friends within the FC ministry: He has promised and vowed:

"2. Do you sincerely own and believe the whole doctrine contained in the Confession of Faith, approven by former General Assemblies of this Church, to be founded upon the Word of God; and do you acknowledge the same as the confession of your faith; and will you firmly and constantly adhere thereto, and to the utmost of your power assert, maintain, and defend the same, and the purity of worship as presently practised in this Church?
3. Do you disown all Popish, Arian, Socinian, Arminian, Erastian, and other doctrines, ten-ets, and opinions whatsoever, contrary to, and inconsistent with, the foresaid Confession of Faith?"

This is post 1900 FC with no exceptions and declaratory act. the WCF is clear on Rome be it the mass, her gospel of faith and works, and ultimately the Pope as That antichrist.

How is this man not breaking his vows? He promised before God and man to 'disown all Popish... doctrines, ten-ets, and opinions whatsoever, contrary to, and inconsistent with, the foresaid Confession of Faith?'

In Christ

The thought struck me that now the FCS has legislated to permit
the singing of hymns in their congregations, and the Moderator
designate recognises his brethren and sisters in Christ in the Roman
church, could the strains of Ave Maria be heard in the once Protstant
Church? And I am in no way being facetious.

There seems to be a similarity between the ecumenism in Scotland, discussed in this thread, and the evangelicals who are warming towards Rome mentioned in Benjamin Glaser's blog Here.

There wasn't much of a response to this thread, as per my original post last week. I wonder if I can ask how many of you would consider the 'friendly dynamic between evangelicals and Roman Catholics,' to quote Rev Glaser, to be a cause for concern? Perhaps you could detail your reasons as to why or why not.

Many thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back