Editions of The Pilgrim's Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Puritanboard Commissioner
Over the years, I've picked up a number of editions of Bunyan's classic work. This is what I currently have:

Barbour "Deluxe Christian Classics" edition ISBN 1577489160 HB, 304pp

Oxford World Classics, W.R. Owens, editor. Oxford University Press, 2003. PB ISBN 0192803611 333 pages

Penguin Classics, Roger Pooley, editor 2008 384 pages ISBN 0141439718 (This one includes some classic illustrations)

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would have an idea about what differences there may be between these editions, (and I have no idea what text the Barbour edn. uses) and which one would be "better" etc. The Oxford and Penguin editions have some explanatory notes, etc. I suppose I should keep them all, especially the two critical editions. Is there a better edition that I don't have?

You could do some initial research on either abebooks.com, and note various prices as well, or worldcat.org

There used to be a page on the Web, by a collector, titled "Why I have 400 copies of the same book."

I have the Hodder Christian Classics edition edited by Rhona Pipe...unabridged, 1678....and updated language :p I hope yours are all better than mine at least!

I'm interested in this, too, as I will be reading it on my Kindle soon.

I would need to know which of the cheap or free Kindle versions are the best.

Banner of Truth's hardback edition is the best modern edition I have read. The book / binding is great, the margins are good for note taking, Bunyan's references (Scripture + comments) are in the margin, and it contains both pilgrimages.

Originally Posted by LeeD
Banner of Truth's hardback edition is the best modern edition I have read. The book / binding is great, the margins are good for note taking, Bunyan's references (Scripture + comments) are in the margin, and it contains both pilgrimages.
$24 The Pilgrim's Progress - Reformation Heritage Books

What about a more reasonably priced Kindle edition?

I have the Hodder Christian Classics edition edited by Rhona Pipe...unabridged, 1678....and updated language :p I hope yours are all better than mine at least!

Unabridged with updated language. I'm no expert in publishing lingo, but that appears to me to be a contradiction in terms, although not technically so. It's "unabridged" if all of it is there, but it has certainly been revised. I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to associate "unabridged" with "original."

Can't answer your question. But since we're sharing, this is what I have in my Pilgrim's Progress collection:

• The Pilgrim's Progress - Easton Press (1979)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - John L Dagg Publishing (2005)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - Element (1997)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - Paraclete Press (1982)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - Albert Cogswell & Co. (1881)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress - Master Books (2005)
  • The Works of John Bunyan - Banner of Truth (1991)
  • The Complete Works of John Bunyan - Bradley, Garretson & Co. (1874)

Also of interest:
  • Pictures From Pilgrim's Progress, by Charles Haddon Spurgeon - Pilgrim Publications (1992)
  • Pilgrim's Progress, Themes and Issues, by Barry E. Horner - Solid Ground (2003)

I do have that book by Horner and hope to work my way through it soon. He also produced an edition of his own several years ago. I think it is called the Accurate Revised Edition.

I love this book. I had one given to me years ago by a friend. I don't know what date it is though, I cannot see any in it. Inside it reads "The Pilgrims Progress - from - This World To That Which Is To Come - Under The Similitude of a Dream.
By John Bunyan with notes and memoir by the Rev James Inglis Johnstone.
Gall & Inglis.

This is the one I have, which is a reprint of the George Offor edition. The wide margins are great for jotting down notes. A number of years ago I had it in my hold luggage which was lost by the airline company. I wasn't bothered about anything else in the case but was most annoyed at losing my Pilgrims Progress. Thankfully I was eventually reunited with it.

The Pilgrim's Progress in the 3 vol set of Bunyans works is quite good as there is a commentary on the text. The version I have was printed in 1854 and I took great care of it until the day I spilt my coffee all over it. Never drink coffee whilst reading precious books!

I've really enjoyed the Barbour edition. The margins are wide enough for note taking and it has Bunyan's references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back