Edmund Calamy on God’s absolute right as Creator over the nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
This supremacy of God’s power, is founded upon this absolute Right that God hath over us as he is our Creator. For he is Jehovah, that gives being to all, and receives being from none. Of him, and to him, and through him are all things. All creatures are beams from his Sun, drops from his Ocean. If I speak (saith the Text,) I in whom all men live, move, and have their being; I that made all things out of nothing, and can as easily turn all things into nothing, If I speak. This power of God over Kingdoms, hath two properties.

1. It is illimited and independent, which appears by three expressions in the Text 1. By these words, At what instant; which hold forth unto us, that God can destroy a Nation in an instant, in the very twinkling of an eye. In the morning the Sun shone upon Sodom, but before night it was destroyed with fire and brimstone. The old World was drowned (as Luther thinks) in the Spring time, when all things began to bud and blossom. The flood came suddenly, saith Christ, it came de repent, according to the vulgar translation of these words, when they least expected it. And on the contrary, God can in an instant make a Nation happy. ...

For more, see Edmund Calamy on God’s absolute right as Creator over the nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back