Edward Dafydd Morris (1825-1915)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Does anyone have any biographical information on this man? I know that he was born in Utica, New York, on Monday, October 31, 1825 and that he taught at Lane Seminary for 30 years (1867-1897). I have his magnum opus, Theology of the Westminster Standards: A Commentary Historical, Doctrinal, Practical on the Confession of Faith and Catechisms of the Presbyterian Churches (Columbus, Ohio: The Champlin Press, 1900), 858 pp., but I don't know much about him.

Anyone know anything or point me to a source? Thanks.

When your Lord's Day is finished, this should give you a week's worth of research or more:

Search archive.org for "Lane Seminary"

Among the returns, Thirty Years in Lane, by Morris, along with his inaugural discourse.

Should you ever see another copy of his Theology of the Westminster Standards, please let me know. That's one that I don't yet have for the Historical Center.

Shawn:

Thanks.

But what has been your experience with those Google digitizations? I have found that they are typically not searchable, whereas the ones from Princeton and some of the other institutions, as found on archive.org, are searchable. Given how I'm often using these resources, that's a key feature that I need.

Of course, some things are only available from Google, and this may be one such. But with a bit of work, I can download and then run OCR on the file and make it searchable.

Wayne,

Strange, I've found all google books searchable that I've searched. If it is a preview book (almost always newer books) then you can't search most of it. I've had no particular problems with Google books. But I have not made of point of looking for them or comparing it with anything beyond the Internet Archives.

This is how a search looks initially: I searched for "books" in this random book about coffees (from the 20s). Here's the link. On top of the green book cover you will see a small yellow line giving the number of pages with that word "book." It will then say "previous" "next" and then "view all". To the right of the green cover you will see a white vertical line with blue horizontal lines. Those blue lines can be clicked on and they will take you to a page with the word "book" on it.

When searching for a book in Google book and you want full search ability it will be older books so you will need to filter for "Google ebooks" under search tools for book type.

I have noticed that word searches are not always fully represented by the preview summaries. When you go to a page offered with the word, the word may show up in more places on that page.

And yet, when I open the Morris PDF in Adobe Acrobat, I cannot search for specific words. Searching for words as obvious as "God" turns up nothing. I have to run OCR on the PDF file to get it such that it is searchable.

Do other PB'ers have this same problem?

(I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro, updated to 9.5.5)

Google specifies on the first page of the pdf that searching is online: "About Google Book Search
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and to make it universally accessible and useful. Google Book Search helps readers
discover the world’s books while helping authors and publishers reach new audiences. You can search through the full text of this book on the web
at http://books.google.com/"

So, no, it is not designed to search in pdf form. A separate OCR program is needed. In my case I have the full standard Adobe which has a built in OCR to convert.

BTW: where's the Princeton book site?

The material that Princeton has digitized is on archive.org. So too for the Library of Congress and a number of universities, plus some other entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back