Edward Leigh on Catechizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
Edward Leigh, in the Proleg to his Body of Divinity, makes a memorable and pithy statement as to the importance of Catechizing:
The Papists in the Preface to the Catechism of the Councel of Trent, confesse that all the ground which we [that is, Protestants] have got of them is by catechizing; and let us look that we lose not our ground again for want of it. (A System or Body of Divinity, London, 1654. [sixth page of Prolegomena])​

Edward Leigh, in the Proleg to his Body of Divinity, makes a memorable and pithy statement as to the importance of Catechizing:
The Papists in the Preface to the Catechism of the Councel of Trent, confesse that all the ground which we [that is, Protestants] have got of them is by catechizing; and let us look that we lose not our ground again for want of it. (A System or Body of Divinity, London, 1654. [sixth page of Prolegomena])​

Good stuff! Our 3 year old is working on WSC #5. I pray God will use this catechism mightily in our generation.

Thanks for sharing!

'Tis an impressive sounding three year old. Growing up, I had no idea what catechisms were, let alone that there even was such a thing as teaching in that manner. I remember in Middle School hearing that a bunch of Roman Catholic students were getting "Catechism," but I thought it was a shot, or a medal, or a secret handshake or something: it was a mystery as to what they could possibly have been talking about.

'Tis an impressive sounding three year old. Growing up, I had no idea what catechisms were, let alone that there even was such a thing as teaching in that manner. I remember in Middle School hearing that a bunch of Roman Catholic students were getting "Catechism," but I thought it was a shot, or a medal, or a secret handshake or something: it was a mystery as to what they could possibly have been talking about.

:ditto:

Our SS class is going through "The Shorter catechism (Baptist Version)" . It is good to see the whole congregation on the same page. Church unity can be protected when the things we should commonly believe are systematically taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back