Embryonic Stem Cell Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of good people out there that believe this. I just want them clarify their thinking so they can be consistant. I don't see this particular subject the way you do, and would not demand the Biblical penalty for premeditated murder for a technician who destroys some fertilized eggs that the parents don't want any more. I don't see those eggs as having the same rights as someone who has been animated, to use the terminology of theologians who've worked on this subject. What's your thinking, since we agree on so much, I'd value your opinion.

Tim,

The question virtually becomes when the child becomes the image of God. The question is clearly answered by the defacement of the image of God by sin. When does one become the image of God? The Scripture answers the negative side of this question when David confessed that his mother conceived him in sin. David was not only image of God, but fallen image of God from conception. It may therefore be reasonably assumed that man is the image of God from the time he is conceived. It should be noted that the hebrew verb in Psalm 51:5 refers to the heat of sexual passion; when David was first conceived as a result from copulation and furtilization.

Animus, or animation, or becoming the image of God, therefore, must biblically take place at furtilization. Hence, because infants are the image of God from conception, God's penalty for striking at His image must be enforced in all cases.

That is my understanding of the case.

Cheers,

The question virtually becomes when the child becomes the image of God. The question is clearly answered by the defacement of the image of God by sin. When does one become the image of God? The Scripture answers the negative side of this question when David confessed that his mother conceived him in sin. David was not only image of God, but fallen image of God from conception. It may therefore be reasonably assumed that man is the image of God from the time he is conceived. It should be noted that the hebrew verb in Psalm 51:5 refers to the heat of sexual passion; when David was first conceived as a result from copulation and furtilization.

Animus, or animation, or becoming the image of God, therefore, must biblically take place at furtilization. Hence, because infants are the image of God from conception, God's penalty for striking at His image must be enforced in all cases.

Cheers,

Can the Hebrew verb in Psalm 51:5 be used seperate from sexual passion/copulation? ie., can it apply to the injection of a sperm cell by a pipette into an egg which is being held in place by a vacuum on a petri dish?

Can the Hebrew verb in Psalm 51:5 be used seperate from sexual passion/copulation? ie., can it apply to the injection of a sperm cell by a pipette into an egg which is being held in place by a vacuum on a petri dish?

The word refers to the conception of David as a fallen image-bearer. The root word refers to the heat of sexual passion, but in the context David uses it, it demonstrates that he was fallen from the time he was conceived.

Cheers,

I'll say it again. I agree that the Bible clearly states that life begins at conception. The sanctity of this life is not to be violated. If I didn't agree with you on this point I would have no problem voting "Yes" on the ballot. I guess what I'm having trouble with is the biblical definition of conception. You mentioned IVF was not present in Jeremiah's day... that's where I am in need of help. Is the biblical definition of conception the event of joining egg and sperm regardless of where this event happens?

John Eidsmoe has done a great study on this question dealing with the scriptural arguments. I heard a message given by him this past summer at the West Coast Worldview Conference on the question of life. It was very well done, perhaps the best I have heard. If you would like to send your mailing information to me, I would be happy to send it on to you in CD form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back