Encouragement to Pray - By Edward Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
"O let the Lord's remembrancers give Him no rest. There is a kind of omnipotency in prayer, as having an interest and prevalence with God's omnipotency. It hath loosed iron chains; it hath opened iron gates; it hath unlocked the windows of heaven; it hath broken the bars of death. Satan hath three titles given him in scripture, setting forth his malignity against the church of God: a 'dragon,' to note his malice; a 'serpent,' to note his subtilty; and a 'lion,' to note his strength. But none of all these can stand before prayer. The greatest malice, the malice of Haman sinks under the prayer of Esther; the deepest policy, the counsel of Ahithophel, withers before the prayer of David: the hugest army, an host of a thousand thousand Ethiopians, run away like cowards before the prayer of Asa.
How should this encourage us to treasure up our prayers, to besiege the throne of grace with armies of supplications, to refuse denial, to break through a repulse. He hath blessed those whom he did cripple: He hath answered those whom He did reproach: He hath delivered those whom He did deny. And He is the same yesterday and today. If He save in six and in seven troubles, should not we pray in six and seven extremities? Certainly, in all the afflictions of the church, when prayers are strongest, mercies are nearest."

Last edited:
Beautiful quote. His opening sentence hints at Isaiah 62:6.

Typo: should be "remembrancers"

Not sure where you found this quote, but I had at least previously found it in Reynolds sermon on Hosea 14:1-3, as located in the Commentary on Hosea, by Jeremiah Burroughs [Burroughs had died and a selected few, including Reynolds, finished out the volume. (SDG, 1989): 617-618.

Thank you for the correction! Yes, it is from volume 3 of Edward Reynolds works. I'm finding Reynolds and Calamy are rare gems of the puritan era.
Beautiful quote. His opening sentence hints at Isaiah 62:6.

Typo: should be "remembrancers"

Not sure where you found this quote, but I had at least previously found it in Reynolds sermon on Hosea 14:1-3, as located in the Commentary on Hosea, by Jeremiah Burroughs [Burroughs had died and a selected few, including Reynolds, finished out the volume. (SDG, 1989): 617-618.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back