English Latent Antinomianism and its Effects on Some Churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOwen

Puritan Board Junior
Friends,
I wrote a paper on the perils of English Latent Antinomianism and its effects on certain Dutch Reformed Secession Churches. I delivered this paper to NAPARC as the speaker about 6 years ago. This paper grew out of my own ministry among these dear souls in New Jersey.

It's long so here's a sample.

Introduction

In certain sections of the Dutch Session Churches in the North American context, there abides a deep love and esteem for the devotional writings of specific English, Strict and Particular Baptists. The most prominent being William Gadsby (1773–1844), Joseph Charles Philpot (1802 – 1869), and their theological mentor, William Huntington (1745–1813). Much of what these men wrote were sermons and meditations pertaining to the daily struggles of the wounded and tried believer. To souls all over the globe, their words have become dearer than almost any other body of collected writings. We must be careful to give the Lord praise where praise is due; He has used these men's writings to help the bruised reed and smoking flax. The soul-searching and experiential words of comfort flowing from their pens have drawn out many a "dove in the cleft of the rock.” Much of their devotional and sermonic writings are to be lauded and read with profit, and we do not wish to take away anything good that the Lord has done by them.

Yet, Paul tells us in 1 Thessalonian 5:21 that we must "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good". The believer would fail to be Berean should he leave the strictures of the men we hold in such high esteem unexamined, especially since they do not come from our Reformed and Puritan tradition. This paper will attempt to open the error of these men precisely at their point of danger, and remind the reader that "a little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump" (Galatians 5:9). It is no secret to most that the men we have mentioned have long been labeled antinomian. We will attempt to examine this charge by testing their own writings in light of the Word of God and the historic Reformed faith.

Last edited:
Friends,
I wrote a paper on the perils of English Latent Antinomianism and its effects on certain Dutch Reformed Secession Churches. I delivered this paper to NAPARC as the speaker about 6 years ago. This paper grew out of my own ministry among these dear souls in New Jersey.

Interestingly, Bavinck characterizes the English antinomians as merely "anti-neonomian", not antinomian, which shows a surprising sympathy for them.
Personally I much prefer the Westminster Assemblymen over their antinomian antagonists.

Interestingly, Bavinck characterizes the English antinomians as merely "anti-neonomian", not antinomian, which shows a surprising sympathy for them.
Personally I much prefer the Westminster Assemblymen over their antinomian antagonists.
I did not know that. Interesting. Can you tell me in which volume so I can see if he has any reason for that? I must admit that I have not been diligent in my Bavinck.

Friends,

What do you make of what Gosden says about the 10 commandments? This past Lord's Day a friend at church happened to be showing me the Gosden book you referenced, and I could not make head or tail of what Gosden was saying. If the 10 commandments are not a rule of life for the believer, why do we have to obey them as Gosden seems to suggest? Is he saying that the Gospel contains and goes above and beyond what the law says, therefore the law is binding but we need more and need different motives? (I don't have the book so can't look back at what he actually said)

I've never annalized Gosden's view of the law in-depth. I know some have said that the believer keeps the decalogue 'accidentally' by the prompts of the Spirit. Perhaps that explains it?

Hello Pastor Lewis, We meet before you were installed. My name is William and my wife (was) Willemina. I have had that paper a few years now and it has been a help at certain times in my walk. On the one hand I would never want to leave but sit under experiential preaching. Believe me I know the despair it can bring. On the other hand I can see that those who have departed and “leaned” the other way are no longer what they were as a denomination or church. This has been such a riddle to me. Our ministers are diverse some have the right balance and some are more man centered in his lostness. I think you know what I mean to to say. Paul preached Christ indeed yet many a ministers point to him without the congregation knowing why He is needed and that they can not receive Him with their own application.

I write this and want to say what a difficult task it is for a minister even if the minister is truly converterted. Some go one way some go the other. It’s all a riddle to me. Maybe even yourself at times if I may say that. Christ must be preached and at the same time we can not apply Him to our selves.

I know I am off topic but I believe you know what I am trying to say. I sat under a J.C. sermon read a couple of weeks ago it seemed so backwards 45 minutes of lostness and 15 minutes of I’m not sure. It stems from the old people 100 yrs ago who have sat under experiential preaching that when they came to America and churches were being formed those books were dear to them rather than the new modern preaching that was sweeping the country away from the Puritan type of sermons. (generally speaking).

I end now, thank you for what you wrote and I hope and believe you know what I am trying to convey as our denomination’s have similar roots. If you would like you can reply by p.m. I have always liked you as a minister. William

Last edited:
I might add that if you were not so far away I would most likely sit under you ministering of the Word. I know you have a large family they all must be getting bigger and are older now. Anyway may the LORD uphold you this upcoming Lord’s day and also that you may receive some food for your own soul. I go now.

Kind Regards,
William

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back