Ephesians 4:11 & Acts 2:17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Puritan Board Freshman
I was talking to a fellow believer yesterday and we were back and forth with him being continuationist and I being cessationist. He vaguely touched on these verses as an argument.
I told him we have not had apostles and prophets since the close of scripture. I also told him of the countless visions and dreams of fantastic things at a past church that came to nothing. I'm not aware of anyone being brought back from death by a Christian with the gift of healing.
What's the Reformed interpretation of verses like these that the Charismatic believers take as applying to the Church from then till now?

When is v.19 fulfilled?
On bibleref.com the explanation is that Acts 2:17 - 18 is taken by Peter as applying to pentecost. I'm not sure what Peter thought verses 19 - 21 applied to but bibleref says it applies to the end times.

On bibleref.com the explanation is that Acts 2:17 - 18 is taken by Peter as applying to pentecost. I'm not sure what Peter thought verses 19 - 21 applied to but bibleref says it applies to the end times.
That’s one way to look at it. But you ought to be curious what your friend thinks. Surely it isn’t wise to just look at two verses out of context in any case

That’s one way to look at it. But you ought to be curious what your friend thinks. Surely it isn’t wise to just look at two verses out of context in any case
Oh I am curious. We'll be chatting again on Sunday so I'll bring it up.
I'd like to learn more about why Peter included 19- 21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back