EPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
For those who may be interested, check out the Encyclopedia Puritannica Project (EPP) at http://www.puritannica.com for a great CD resource which includes a reliable copy of the Bible in English, a faithful translation of the Psalms organized as a metrical Psalter, and Eighty (80) human works, all of which are either technically writings of the Puritans or works of their theological "sons."

Are you considering ordering a copy? That's quite a content list. In addition to the excellent content, it looks like a lot of work went into it with all the interlinkiarity.

[Edited on 4-24-2005 by blhowes]

I have a copy. And I've spent time and resources assisting in the project. The folks behind the CD have invested numerous man-hours and $$ to make this project the success that it is. I think it's an invaluable contribution to the church because it makes certain Puritan works much more accessible than they have been. I highly recommend the CD, and future updated versions will also be worth getting too, I think.

EPP Version 2.0 is coming out very soon. It should be available on or around August 1, 2005 through the EPP website or Reformation Heritage Books. Check it out!

One of the nice features of the EPP 2.0 is having Matthew Poole's commentary in electronic format! Also, Matthew Henry's commentary on the Westminster Shorter Catechism and Zacharias Ursinus' commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism. :up:

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Andrew,

What is the format of the books?

How are they searchable? (is there a way to search the whole collection, for example to see all comments on Eph 1:2 ? )

Any idea what will be added for 3.0? Cost?

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Andrew,

What is the format of the books?

How are they searchable? (is there a way to search the whole collection, for example to see all comments on Eph 1:2 ? )

Any idea what will be added for 3.0? Cost?

Each EPP version is a CD which contains a large number of Reformed works which were scanned and which are cross-referenced to Bible verses, including the 1650 Scottish metrical psalter. Therefore, yes, you can pull up a particular verse and see what any of the authors included had to say about that verse.

Version 3.0 will include the works of Thomas Boston, 26 volumes of sermons by JC Philpot, Henry Law on the Psalms, Charles Bridges on Psalm 119, and expanded portions (from version 2.0) of Calvin's Commentaries, Dabney's Discussions, Gurnall's Christian in Complete Armour, etc.

Reformation Heritage Books sells version 2.0 for $60 and I expect version 3.0 to be sold for the same price or slightly higher.

From the EPP overview:

# USEFUL: Innovative, categorized cross-referencing allows you to find every occurrence of a scripture reference in these texts with just a few clicks. A huge glossary of theological terms and antiquarian words helps to clarify difficult sentences. Simple, yet powerful navigation makes the content of these books accessible in ways not previously possible.

For example, if you wanted to know what Matthew Henry taught about Matt 5:3, you would probably turn to his Commentary on Matt 5:3-12. With this product, you would find out that he also used this verse to support his comments on Deut 27:11-26 and Matt 23:14-33.

# ACCURATE: Unlike many others, the EPP texts are faithfully reproduced from original printings without changing sentence structure or page numbering. Many hundreds of obvious printing errors, such as misspelled words and invalid scripture references, have been corrected.

As an example, near the middle of Matthew Henry�s commentary on Ps 119:108, there is a reference to Heb 1:15 (a verse which does not exist). This has been corrected to Heb 13:15 on the EPP CD.

# EASY-TO-USE: All the features on this CD are presented intuitively and you can choose which ones you want to use. You pick your own paths through the material�using as few or as many of the features as you desire.

# THEOLOGICAL: Ministers, elders, and other students of the Word are already reporting that this tool saves them time. It helps in verifying exegesis, locating sermon illustrations and finding apt quotations. Excerpts from the texts can also be pasted into sermon notes, theological papers, and email exchanges.

# PORTABLE: This CD requires no installation or internet connection, and can be used on any suitable computer. Students doing research at libraries, ministers preparing sermons away from their studies, and businessmen having devotions on the road can all use this product.

# DEVOTIONAL: Included are several daily devotional works and scripture reading plans, making this CD useful for private devotions as well as personal study, especially when traveling.

# COMPLEMENTARY: Even if you already own some of these books in printed form, this CD will enhance their use by rapidly locating Bible references and topics of interest. It will also allow you to evaluate other books prior to purchase, find new books you may want to acquire and provide out-of-print books which are not available in easy-to-read form anywhere else.

[Edited on 11-27-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Great avatar Andrew! That is my husbands favorite version of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. That actor is great as Scrooge. We have watched it twice this month already. :D

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I have EPP 3.0 now. It is awesome! :pilgrim::up:
It's a treasure-trove of Puritan literature. Enjoy!

Just got it in. As usual ... magnificent! As if it wasn't already quite full, it's got tons more. I'm looking forward to getting into Dabney's Discussions.

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, no... not another EPP thread!

Let's just keep it clean and remember that we're all brothers here!

Oh, wait, maybe I'm just thinking of EP... Hmmmmmmm.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back