Equivalent in Greek for Hebrew Word "hesed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3John2

Puritan Board Freshman
I wanted to know what is the Greek equivalent, perhaps in the Septuagint, for the Hebrew word "hesed" as in "lovingkindness" etc?

this may be better choice

chrestotes - Moral goodness (not sure if this word is in sept)

I dont have a cross reference source, just have to rely on my rusty ole' memory.

Originally posted by 3John2
I wanted to know what is the Greek equivalent, perhaps in the Septuagint, for the Hebrew word "hesed" as in "lovingkindness" etc?
Here's some examples...

Genesis 19:19
Hebrew ^ªD>s.x;
LXX e;leoj

You have the same Greek word (e;leoj) translated for the Hebrew (ds,x,) in Deu 5:10; 7:9; 7:12; 1 Sam 20:14, 15; 2 Sam 2:6; 2 Sam 7:16; 2 Sam 22:51; 2 times in 1 Kings 3:6; 8:23; 1 Chronicles 16:34; 16:41; 17:13; 2 Chronicles 1:8; 2 Chronicles 5:13; 6:14; 6:42; 7:3, 6; 20:21; Ezra 3:11; 7:28; 9:9; Nehemiah 1:5; 9:17; 9:32; 13:22; Job 10:12; 37:13; Psalm 5:7; 6:4; 13:5; 17:17; 18:50; 21:7; etc.

If you have some specific verses in mind, I'll be happy to check them for you as I find time. But e;leoj seems to be the standard translation for ds,x, in the Hebrew.

DTK

I"m referring to the word keyed # 2617 in the Strongs concordance. If it's eleos then it's NOT agape? Eleos is mercy or grace isnt it then? It's not love as in agape?:detective:

I"m referring to the word keyed # 2617 in the Strongs concordance. If it's eleos then it's NOT agape? Eleos is mercy or grace isnt it then? It's not love as in agape?:detective:
If you are speaking of Joshua 2:12, in both occurrences, ds,x, is translated with e;leoj in the LXX. And yes, e;leoj is usually translated in English as mercy or pity, but not usually as "grace." The standard Greek word for grace is ca,rij.

DTK

Ok but I guess my question is the NT equivalent is NOT agape correct? The reason I'm asking is because I was listening to a cd of someone teaching on the blood covenant. He stated that agape it the NT equivalent of hesed. I started to wonder about that so that's why I figured I'd ask here as someone was BOUND to be able to actually read both languages as this guy didn't.

Ok but I guess my question is the NT equivalent is NOT agape correct? The reason I'm asking is because I was listening to a cd of someone teaching on the blood covenant. He stated that agape it the NT equivalent of hesed. I started to wonder about that so that's why I figured I'd ask here as someone was BOUND to be able to actually read both languages as this guy didn't.
The guy is wrong if he was referencing Joshua 2:12. Although ds,x, (chesed) is usually translated as "lovingkindness" in English, I know of no instance where ds,x, is translated as avga,ph in the LXX. But my ignorance doesn't prove that it's never translated that way by the LXX.

DTK

Originally posted by DTK
The guy is wrong if he was referencing Joshua 2:12. Although ds,x, (chesed) is usually translated as "lovingkindness" in English, I know of no instance where ds,x, is translated as avga,ph in the LXX. But my ignorance doesn't prove that it's never translated that way by the LXX.

DTK

The only place is Jeremiah 2:2, where the phrase "the devotion of your youth" (NASB/ESV/NIV) "The kindness of your youth" (NKJV/KJV) has the word for devotion/kindness ( חֶסֶד ) translated as ἀγαπη in the LXX. In contrast, ἐλεος is used for חֶסֶד more than 200 times.

Scholars and seminarians - that is what Bibleworks can do for you in 5 minutes.

I must be having really bad problems with my iMac cuz everytime you guys put a work in Heb or Gk it comes out weird. I can't tell what th word is. But anyways I guess Kenneth Copeland was way off.

Is your browser set to read Unicode? That is what mine is. DTK's is the Bibleworks font. If you don't have it, you should download it from the Bibleworks site. It's helpful.

And yes, Kenneth Copeland is almost always way off. He's what you call a heretic.

[Edited on 6/16/2006 by fredtgreco]

Originally posted by fredtgreco
The only place is Jeremiah 2:2, where the phrase "the devotion of your youth" (NASB/ESV/NIV) "The kindness of your youth" (NKJV/KJV) has the word for devotion/kindness ( חֶסֶד ) translated as ἀγαπη in the LXX. In contrast, ἐλεος is used for חֶסֶד more than 200 times.

Dear Fred,

I think if you examine Jer 2:2 more closely, you will find once again that, even there, ds,x, is translated with e;leoj in the LXX. To be sure, avga,ph is used in that verse, but not as a translation of ds,x,.

Blessings,
DTK

[Edited on 6-16-2006 by DTK]

Originally posted by DTK
Originally posted by fredtgreco

Dear Fred,

I think if you examine Jer 2:2 more closely, you will find once again that, even there, ds,x, is translated with e;leoj in the LXX. To be sure, avga,ph is used in that verse, but not as a translation of ds,x,.

Blessings,
DTK

[Edited on 6-16-2006 by DTK]

Yes, David, you are right!

See what you cannot do with Bibleworks!!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back