Ergun Caner has himself tasered

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Josiah, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonGoodwin

JasonGoodwin Puritan Board Sophomore

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

So, Jason, knower of the Scriptures, does the 6th Commandment, in its broader application, approve of or reject the harming of the body?

3. JasonGoodwin

With all due respect, Rich, I don't know whether to laugh or grit my teeth over the "knower of the Scriptures" remark. Sounds to me more like "tongue in cheek."

Having said that, it was an illustration. Dr. Caner and everyone else there knew that when he did this. It's one thing to get tasered. It's another to subject onself through habitual cutting to release endorphines or taking a Black & Decker drill to one's head on a regular basis to release pressure off of the brain.

It was a one-time incident. I think that this is something that people really need to get over and not condemn the President of an outstanding seminary for something that some people consider to be unscriptural. I'm sure that he's cognizant that he will have to give an account for everything -- including the tasing incident. (BTW, you'll notice that he wasn't standing alone when that happened. He had other people supporting him to brace his fall.)

4. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Well, I was just trying to understand what the Scriptures say since I'm one of those slugs that agrees with the Confessions and you seem to read the Scriptures directly for yourself. I'm trying to tap into your insights since you implied that you were undefiled by the Reformed Church's historical confession of the 6th Commandment and its broader application.

So, what's your answer about whether or not it is Scriptural to tase yourself in order to "help" the Scriptures make a point? Is there some sort of verse that allows the President of an "outstanding seminary" to be beyond criticism or discussion about the Scriptural propriety of an "extraordinary measure"? I've been teaching on sin and the foolishness of men for a while now and wonder if I should borrow a taser for the next worship service. I'll only do it once too.

5. Josiah

Josiah Puritan Board Senior

Fair enough: 1 Kings 18 V. 27-30

"And at noon Elijah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god. Either he is musing, or he is relieving himself, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.” 28 And they cried aloud and cut themselves after their custom with swords and lances, until the blood gushed out upon them. 29 And as midday passed, they raved on until the time of the offering of the oblation, but there was no voice. No one answered; no one paid attention.30 Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come near to me.” And all the people came near to him."

I dont suppose that the people of Israel were inclined to listen to the ravings of prophets of Baal after they abused their bodies. Forgive me if I am not sold on using such methods of "communication" to make some sort of a point. To me it seems utterly pagan and has no place in Christ's church.

1 Cor. 6:19-20

"19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

If we take this verse seriously as i know we both do, what are we to make of Caner's behavior? I hardly think you can say he was being simply "off-base".

Really? Arminianism isnt false teaching (heresy)? help me to understand what you mean.

That is neither here nor there. In my humble opinion this is not any indication of orthodoxy, but merely of someones ability to percieve the beliefs of others around them.

No, but I am always willing to learn. I love church history, in fact if you have any resources pertaining to the differences between these two groups, i would like to see them :up:. PM me any info you have.

6. Kevin

Kevin Puritan Board Doctor

What a loon. Did he have a point?

7. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Jason,
    Read this blog by Tom Ascol on Sandy Creek. Your history has been played with and is innaccurate. Brother the Craners are no friend of anyone Calvinistic. And you are correct. They both will be held accountable for how they handled themselves,the gospel, and those who were sound in the Gospel.

Founders Ministries Blog: Happy Birthday Sandy Creek

Also check out this article by Josh Powell. Shubal Stearns and the Separate Baptist Tradition

Tom Nettles has his hands in this article.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

There may have been differences between Sandy Creek and Charleston, but both were Calvinistic.

9. JasonGoodwin

I think I've said more than enough on what needed to be said about Ergun Caner being tasered. The whole discussion has gone way beyond this: :worms:

The cat and mouse game is over.

10. PuritanCovenanter

Just a few notes Jason. In some places concerning the Covenant of Works the WCF is much better than the 2nd LBCF. They aren't in any disagreement. The WCF just does a better job. Many Reformed Baptists will acknowledge that unless they are Baptists who are not Confessional and are in fact New Covenant Theologians. The Westminster and Savoy Declaration are very important documents that clearly state biblical doctrine. There is very little difference between the three and more people would have a better grasp of scripture if they really read these documents.

I don't know of any truly Calvinistic Baptist teachers at Liberty. There may be some who claim to be a supposed 4 point Calvinist but that is just an Amyraldian. I would rejoice to know if there were any true Calvinists.

Anyways, if you are getting your Sandy Creek info from Craner's course that you watched on DVD you should be aware of any other stuff he is teaching in the course as it is probably suspect also.

Love ya brother,
    Randy

11. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

I have said it before and I'll say it again, if this man has a doctorate, then I deserve one as well.

Also, I think referring to Liberty Theological Seminary as a great seminary is overreaching a bit. It is a seminary. Past that, I dunno.

12. Josiah

Thank you for providing me those links Martin, I will have plenty of reading to do! :up:

13. Grymir

Grymir Puritan Board Graduate

"Don't tase me Jesus, with your irisisable spirit!!", Ergun Caner said before the clip was shot. :p

14. PuritanCovenanter

No Problem.

15. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

Ergun Caner fights Popeye!

[​IMG]

16. Gloria

Gloria Puritan Board Sophomore

17. Josiah

There are longer videos on youtube of the incident that you can find, but not all of them are from good angles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.