Eric Liddell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only place I have seen the claim was on Wikipedia, which is why I asked if there was any truth to the claim. Going through the history of the article, it seems a Presbyterian editor put a "citation needed" after the claim. After a few months of no one providing a cite, the claim was removed. I think it is safe to say that his views did not change.

After a bit more reading I did come across the following anecdote of interest dating from 1944 during his internment at Weihsien, but I don't think it represents a substantive change in his position.

Eric organized athletic meets and thrilled everyone by running exhibition races himself. He steadfastly refused to have the matches on Sunday, but, once when the children fought during a Sunday game they had organized, he relented to the extent of becoming the referee for the Sunday athletic events.

-- God's Joyful Runner, p. 158

Those athletes that are truly Christians and not just professing and work on Sundays probably are not sabbatarians and find their rest is in Christ instead of a specific day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back