ESV Catholic Bible UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It used to be that merely being a Protestant was enough to not want to help out the Pope. Especially when an organization states that they believe the gospel and seek the glory of God.

https://www.crossway.org/statement-of-faith/
"Redemption is wholly by the blood of Christ, and salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in our Lord Jesus Christ."

https://www.crossway.org/history/
"Crossway’s goal is to continue seeking the glory of God in everything we do—to proclaim his truth in power; to reflect his glory in content and design; and to express something of his holiness and grace to a fallen world."

Some people are going to be upset that a ministry (I use the word loosely of course) that purports to be about advancing the gospel and the glory of God is helping out Romanists.

I'm not sure why it is a shock that some are really against those who "trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ" (Galatians 1:7) ... "if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:8).

Whether they are right or wrong about the idea that Crossway is doing business with the Pope, is a different matter. But at the very least, it is, to me, an understandable reaction.

So, in a way, Crossway is going against its historical mission. They are breaking an implicit promise to Protestantism. Hence the feeling of being betrayed. I get it.

So, in a way, Crossway is going against its historical mission. They are breaking an implicit promise to Protestantism. Hence the feeling of being betrayed. I get it.
I don’t think it has anything to do with their historical mission, nor a feeling of betrayal. It has to do with simple right and wrong.

I don’t think it has anything to do with their historical mission, nor a feeling of betrayal. It has to do with simple right and wrong.

Oxford University Press publishes Catholic Bibles. Is this equally upsetting? Why is Crossway being singled out when many publishers partner with the Pope?

Oxford University Press publishes Catholic Bibles. Is this equally upsetting? Why is Crossway being singled out when many publishers partner with the Pope?
That is self-evident. What’s your goal here?

I wonder if many people have this tendency to identify parachurch and paraparachurch ministries with the actual church. And when that happens, it always looks like the worst thing has just happened.

I wonder if many people have this tendency to identify parachurch and paraparachurch ministries with the actual church. And when that happens, it always looks like the worst thing has just happened.
I don’t think anyone here has done that. But I am surprised that so many are taking this lightly.

I guess it’s not the preferred brand by many here. But woe if it was Naphtali Press, Reformation Heritage Books, the Trinitarian Bible Society, or even the PuritanBoard that was lending a helping hand to the RCC. Then we’d have something to post about!

But I am surprised that so many are taking this lightly.

I am not taking it lightly, but....well, I am not taking it or not not taking it at all. It's just not relevant to me. And in terms of whether Crossway produces scholarship, it's irrelevant. This is what publishers do.

I am not taking it lightly, but....well, I am not taking it or not not taking it at all. It's just not relevant to me. And in terms of whether Crossway produces scholarship, it's irrelevant. This is what publishers do.
Okay, brother. Fair enough.

May you have many blessed days with your NASB!

Okay, brother. Fair enough.

May you have many blessed days with your NASB!

We can put it into perspective:

* Zondervan has published numerous questionable stuff, yet they've also released some outstanding scholarship.
* Eerdmans is top-notch, yet they published heretic David Bentley Hart.

If you were ever part of the New Calvinist/YRR movement, you'd know that Crossway was a big part of the feeling people in it had of having learned something wonderful about God that they had been locked out from for so long (i.e. his sovereignty). For whatever reason, Crossway was supposedly at the vanguard of this movement and published us our wonderful ESV Bible, which you wouldn't then dream of using any other version except that one. The men who worked on it were the very well-known and loved ones who spoke at all the big conferences, etc. There was a big element of trust in Crossway, I think, since it was especially known and touted as a "reformed" translation. So is that the reason perhaps for the bit of shock that this brings?

OUP is not a Christian publisher, let alone a Reformed one. And, as a wee tidbit of information, it's Cambridge University Press which holds the copyright to print the KJV in the UK (granted them by the Crown, which is the ultimate holder of the copyright), which also isn't a Christian publisher.

OUP is also the publisher of the Scofield Reference Bible. So there's that...

If you were ever part of the New Calvinist/YRR movement, you'd know that Crossway was a big part of the feeling people in it had of having learned something wonderful about God that they had been locked out from for so long (i.e. his sovereignty). For whatever reason, Crossway was supposedly at the vanguard of this movement and published us our wonderful ESV Bible, which you wouldn't then dream of using any other version except that one. The men who worked on it were the very well-known and loved ones who spoke at all the big conferences, etc. There was a big element of trust in Crossway, I think, since it was especially known and touted as a "reformed" translation. So is that the reason perhaps for the bit of shock that this brings?

Good point in connecting Crossway with YRR. I wonder, then, since YRR has basically imploded, if Crossway will go down that same route.

Good point in connecting Crossway with YRR. I wonder, then, since YRR has basically imploded, if Crossway will go down that same route.
That’s a good observation as well. I think it’s certainly safe to say that this newest venture by Crossway doesn’t square with what the New Calvinist/YRR faithful once thought of them. Which was misguided to begin with, I also think can be said.

Bingo. This is why comparing Crossway to Oxford University Press is silly. It's apples and oranges.

There was a big element of trust in Crossway, I think, since it was especially known and touted as a "reformed" translation. So is that the reason perhaps for the bit of shock that this brings?

So there was a breach of implicit trust. That is why people feel betrayed. I understand now.

I've seen a lot in this thread over concerns about the Apocrypha being included. Did not the original KJV also include this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back