ESV Expository Commentary on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those using the OliveTree Bible app, the ESV Expository Commentary by @iainduguid is on sale
Well, I'm one of the editors but not the author of the whole thing. I'm personally contributing Ezekiel, due out this Fall, and Genesis, due out in 2024. But I do think it has come together well, and Crossway has done a lovely job of presentation.

Well, I'm one of the editors but not the author of the whole thing. I'm personally contributing Ezekiel, due out this Fall, and Genesis, due out in 2024. But I do think it has come together well, and Crossway has done a lovely job of presentation.
Dr. Duguid,

Kind of off topic, but I’m glad to see your on this board as it gives me a chance to thank you for preaching at my church Sunday. It greatly blessed me, and with exposition like that, I’ll definitely have to get this work!

Here’s the sermon if anyone wants to check it out:

Dr. Duguid,

Kind of off topic, but I’m glad to see your on this board as it gives me a chance to thank you for preaching at my church Sunday. It greatly blessed me, and with exposition like that, I’ll definitely have to get this work!

Here’s the sermon if anyone wants to check it out:
Thanks! You are very kind.

Iain

Dr Duguid,
How consistently reformed is the commentary? Is it more akin to the ESV study Bible, generally Calvinistic with differing views of polity, sacraments, and covenant present?

Dr Duguid,
How consistently reformed is the commentary? Is it more akin to the ESV study Bible, generally Calvinistic with differing views of polity, sacraments, and covenant present?
Dane, I would say it is similar to the ESV study bible in that scope. For example you would have Andy Naselli, a Baptist, on 1 Corinthians, so there may be some differences. (But I do love Naselli's views and his commentary here and his commentary on 1 Cor 7:14 for example does not speak anything regarding the baptism debate).

The commentary set as a whole brings with it modern conservative scholarship (great bibliographies) in a easy to read manner and giving sufficient understanding to a passage without being wordy. Sort of an updated and more reformed New American Commentary set / a more in-depth Tyndale? It is not expensive too I believe. Very ideal for the layman elder demographic. Great introductions to each book, again with modern scholarship and issues. Detailed outlines for every book of the bible that help sermon series also. Applicational insight at the end of every pericope.

Dane, I would say it is similar to the ESV study bible in that scope. For example you would have Andy Naselli, a Baptist, on 1 Corinthians, so there may be some differences. (But I do love Naselli's views and his commentary here and his commentary on 1 Cor 7:14 for example does not speak anything regarding the baptism debate).

The commentary set as a whole brings with it modern conservative scholarship (great bibliographies) in a easy to read manner and giving sufficient understanding to a passage without being wordy. Sort of an updated and more reformed New American Commentary set / a more in-depth Tyndale? It is not expensive too I believe. Very ideal for the layman elder demographic. Great introductions to each book, again with modern scholarship and issues. Detailed outlines for every book of the bible that help sermon series also. Applicational insight at the end of every pericope.
John,
That's a fair summary. Obviously, different commentators have their own perspectives, but the end result is not far away from the theological feel of the ESV Study Bible: reformed with a small R. I've really appreciated all the volumes I've consulted: it is fairly concise but focused on what you really need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back