ESV or HCSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
Looking to get a new Bible. I have some KJVs, NKJVs an NIV and a Complete Jewish Bible (David Stern).

I'm between the ESV or HCSB. I know the HCSB comes with non-reformed notes but other than notes, what are your thoughts?

Looking to get a new Bible. I have some KJVs, NKJVs an NIV and a Complete Jewish Bible (David Stern).

I'm between the ESV or HCSB. I know the HCSB comes with non-reformed notes but other than notes, what are your thoughts?
Would prefer the Esv, as more of a formal translation.

What are you looking for in a Bible? A certain type of binding/print size/etc.? A particular type of translation? A study Bible? A reference Bible?

The HCSB is no longer in print, having been replaced by the newer CSB. I like the CSB better than the HCSB.

As mentioned above, the HCSB has been upgraded and is now the CSB. It's a significant improvement.

The ESV makes a bit more of a conscious effort to retain the language and cadences of translations past. It will sound a bit more like the KJV. I like that sometimes, but also find it clunky at times.

The CSB still sounds like the Bible, but reads a bit more smoothly. It's a well-done translation, like the NIV in its feel, but it comes without the concerns folks might have about an agenda within Zondervan.

I've grown used to the ESV over the past few decades. It's the one the authors I work with most often use, and it's used in my church. So I'm an ESV guy, and I find it to be more essential to have than the CSB is. I've edited dozens of Christian books, and so far only one of them has used the CSB as its primary translation.

But if I were starting from scratch, with no consideration for what others use or what I'm already familiar with, I'd probably be giving the CSB a hard look.

Notes only come into play if you're getting a study Bible or some other Bible that has notes added to it. The ESV Study Bible is excellent. I can't speak to any of the adult Bible options published by Holman (my CSB is just the Bible text), but in general I would have slightly higher expectations about the theology and pastoral guidance coming from a Crossway (ESV) publication than I would with a Holman (CSB) publication.

As mentioned above, the HCSB has been upgraded and is now the CSB. It's a significant improvement.

The ESV makes a bit more of a conscious effort to retain the language and cadences of translations past. It will sound a bit more like the KJV. I like that sometimes, but also find it clunky at times.

The CSB still sounds like the Bible, but reads a bit more smoothly. It's a well-done translation, like the NIV in its feel, but it comes without the concerns folks might have about an agenda within Zondervan.

I've grown used to the ESV over the past few decades. It's the one the authors I work with most often use, and it's used in my church. So I'm an ESV guy, and I find it to be more essential to have than the CSB is. I've edited dozens of Christian books, and so far only one of them has used the CSB as its primary translation.

But if I were starting from scratch, with no consideration for what others use or what I'm already familiar with, I'd probably be giving the CSB a hard look.

Notes only come into play if you're getting a study Bible or some other Bible that has notes added to it. The ESV Study Bible is excellent. I can't speak to any of the adult Bible options published by Holman (my CSB is just the Bible text), but in general I would have slightly higher expectations about the theology and pastoral guidance coming from a Crossway (ESV) publication than I would with a Holman (CSB) publication.
The Csb us the Niv done right, and really like the Esv SB, as many contributors there came from RB position.

The ESV also removes verses that are not in the earliest manuscripts. It would be better if they did as the NASB and bracketed or footnoted them. That said, I have no hands on experience with the CSB, but I have gone to BibleHub where you can compare translations side by side. There is just something about their translation style that leads me to prefer the ESV, NIV 2011, NRSV. I'd suggest reading at BibleHub to compare before you commit.

The HCSB was an interesting translation that was a bit quirky. They can still be found for a very inexpensive price. The newer CSB is less quirky and overall pretty good if you don’t mind a more dynamic translation based on the critical text. Lifeway stores currently have all editions of the CSB at 40% off.

The ESV is also an excellent translation that is more literal and traditional sounding than the CSB. There are also plenty of options in terms of study Bibles and other resources.

Ultimately it depends on which style of translation you prefer.

I have a handsome CSB Charles Spurgeon study Bible. It is very easy to read because it has nice paper, a nice font, and it flows well. However, I pretty much only use my NASB. If I had to choose from the two you listed, I guess I’d choose CSB. I think the suggestion of using Bible Gateway to compare them all is a good one.

The ESV is also an excellent translation that is more literal and traditional sounding than the CSB. There are also plenty of options in terms of study Bibles and other resources.
It's often claimed that the ESV is more literal than the CSB, but in my opinion (as a translator for the HCSB and editor for the CSB) that is overstated. All translations adopt an idiomatic approach at times (rightly), and there are plenty of times where the CSB is more literal than the ESV (e.g. "sons of Adam" for bne adam). We do sound less traditional (or archaic) than the ESV, but that is because the Hebrew we were translating is not, in most places, archaic Hebrew.

I don't have a problem with the ESV, and use it regularly, but I think the CSB does a slightly better job of rendering the text into contemporary English. However, the Holman has not supported the CSB with anything like the number of Reformed resources that Crossway has with the ESV. I don't think I can recommend any of the CSB study Bibles over the ESV equivalents. And most Reformed authors use the ESV rather than the CSB, as Jack noted (I'm probably the exception he mentioned - Thanks, Jack for a phenomenal job on the Jonah Bible Study!).

Lifeway stores currently have all editions of the CSB at 40% off.

That depends on the store. Many and perhaps most stores are already closed. The one in Baton Rouge, LA just went to 50% off of their CSB Bibles a few days ago. Their other Bibles are 20-25% off. I take that to mean that they have more CSB Bibles that they need to sell through compared to other translations.

They said they don't have many KJVs left and will probably run out of those first. I'm not sure if that means that they simply had less KJVs in stock when the closeout started or if it is an example of the continued popularity of the KJV. Perhaps both.

In terms of rendering the text into contemporary English I've always liked the NIV, but I find the NLT (don't hate me) is even more authentic in expressing itself in the vernacular I hear in every day discourse.

The biggest disappointment that many will have with the CSB is an alleged pedestrian rendering of the Psalms, whereas even the NIV seems to have a more literary or poetic quality, not to mention the more "formal" translations such as the ESV, NKJV, and of course the KJV.

It's often claimed that the ESV is more literal than the CSB, but in my opinion (as a translator for the HCSB and editor for the CSB) that is overstated. All translations adopt an idiomatic approach at times (rightly), and there are plenty of times where the CSB is more literal than the ESV (e.g. "sons of Adam" for bne adam). We do sound less traditional (or archaic) than the ESV, but that is because the Hebrew we were translating is not, in most places, archaic Hebrew.

I don't have a problem with the ESV, and use it regularly, but I think the CSB does a slightly better job of rendering the text into contemporary English. However, the Holman has not supported the CSB with anything like the number of Reformed resources that Crossway has with the ESV. I don't think I can recommend any of the CSB study Bibles over the ESV equivalents. And most Reformed authors use the ESV rather than the CSB, as Jack noted (I'm probably the exception he mentioned - Thanks, Jack for a phenomenal job on the Jonah Bible Study!).

I agree that literal is often overused and misapplied when it comes to Bible translations. As a general rule, the ESV leans more towards the literal direction, but this is by no means monolithic nor is it necessarily to be preferred.

That depends on the store. Many and perhaps most stores are already closed. The one in Baton Rouge, LA just went to 50% off of their CSB Bibles a few days ago. Their other Bibles are 20-25% off. I take that to mean that they have more CSB Bibles that they need to sell through compared to other translations.

They said they don't have many KJVs left and will probably run out of those first. I'm not sure if that means that they simply had less KJVs in stock when the closeout started or if it is an example of the continued popularity of the KJV. Perhaps both.

Very true. I should have said at least 40%, assuming the store in your area is still open.

The ESV, which I've been using for nearly 20 years now, is an excellent translation. I've read some of the CSB, and it reads a little flat (as in "bland") to me. Of course, that might be just me.

For my money, the ESV is the best translation out there.

What are you looking for in a Bible? A certain type of binding/print size/etc.? A particular type of translation? A study Bible? A reference Bible?

The HCSB is no longer in print, having been replaced by the newer CSB. I like the CSB better than the HCSB.

Just a "newer reading" Bible. I'm familiar with the KJV. And now I have Ligonier's NKJV study Bible. I just wanted one more reading option with newer English is all. I'm not looking particularly for a study Bible (I have the Ligonier one), but just for reading.

EDIT:

Yeah...kinda looking at Schuyler's ESV...guilty as charged! But still up in the air between the two. Will look more into it.

Yeah...kinda looking at Schuyler's ESV...guilty as charged! But still up in the air between the two. Will look more into it.

Steven: is Schuyler coming out with an ESV - something different from the ones they already offer? Do you know anything about it? Do tell! Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
ESV all the way. I have both the ESV Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible, but for daily use I use the ESV Thompson Chain.
I would highly recommend any of those, but the Reformation Study Bible is phenomenal.
I prefer the newer CSB to the HCSB, the HCSB divided Bible verses in a unique way. For instance, the HCSB in Galatians 2 makes the "I have been crucified with Christ" portion of verse 20 a part of verse 19. This is no big deal if you are using it for reading, but I was a little thrown off by it.

Just a "newer reading" Bible. I'm familiar with the KJV. And now I have Ligonier's NKJV study Bible. I just wanted one more reading option with newer English is all. I'm not looking particularly for a study Bible (I have the Ligonier one), but just for reading.

EDIT:

I find the ESV to be cumbersome, especially in the OT where it has been less edited (the translators spent much more time in certain key theological books editing the RSV, while in other places there are barely any changes). The ESV retains certain parts of the feel of the KJV while in my opinion losing the literary elements that make it great. Just from a language perspective, I prefer the NKJV over the ESV.

If you're looking for newer English compared to the NKJV, I recommend you check out the CSB out of the 2 translations you mentioned in the OP. I would also take a look at the NIV 84 and the Evangelical Heritage Version.

Can't speak for the CSB, but I'm a big advocate for the ESV. Strong translation that utilizes the CT while remaining in KJV tradition (RSV as the base), great publisher, comprehensive footnotes, formal equivalence and will be relevant for the rest of our lifetime.

A couple of recommendations:
1) Holman KJV Study Bible is the only full-color KJV Study Bible and has all the HCSB study notes, for the most part, modified for the KJV translation.

2) The KJV(ER) Easy Read www.kjver.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back