Ethical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
A young woman asked me a question the other day which I will have to ponder for awhile. In the meantime I thought I would share it with you and see what your thoughts would be:

A nurse's aid works in a rest home with many people who are very ill and near death, though some are just aged. On many of their charts it says that if they should stop breathing they will not be resuscitated. This is by order either of themselves or their families.

Is the young woman culpable for not performing CPR on someone when she is able and willing? Is it 'murder' (passive euthanasia) to allow someone to simply die?

My initial reaction was no, you must respect their wishes. At the same time, would it be right to allow someone to commit suicide or are they two different situations?

She is not culpable. The person is dying naturally. Intervention is not typical in these cases. This cannot be considered murder. Murder would be in the case that the person dying was concious and was able to make the decision on their own for rescusitation if it is needed. In most of these cases, the decision is left up to the family members.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Are the people alive because of machines currently, or are they currently alive of their own (well, God's gracious) strength?

Both if I am not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back