Ethics on Editing Recorded Sermons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakaleo

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've observed some discussion on PB on the issue of publishing sermons (either printed or recorded) and was interested to try and understand the arguments for and against publishing or broadcasting sermons in general.

This made me think of the side-issue of the ethics of sermon audio-editing. Is it being deceitful to edit out a cough? A stutter?

I see how some would say to leave the recording unedited so as not to deceive the hearer and to protect the preacher against pride.

I also see how some (myself included) would say to edit these things out as a matter of providing distraction-free listening to the Word of God preached. No pastor would prefer to cough more as he preaches. If technology gives him the ability to "cough less" (in a recording), I see it as a helpful technology not too different than a microphone on a pulpit. For easier listening and apprehension.

Thoughts?

When I listen to podcasts, I use a setting in my app that already removes extra whitespace. If I had a remove coughing or other such noises button, I would use it too.

If you really had a question of ethics/integrity, perhaps you could offer the unedited version as well.

If someone wants to edit the recording to make it cleaner, fine; if not, fine. But to say one cannot would be akin to arguing one could not present the material in better garb in print but dutifully record every, uh, ah and cough. I don't get the objection.

Right. Maybe this is one of those totally imagined objections that nobody has. Then again, I have been surprised before.

There's always the possibility that the reasons for editing (or not editing) a sermon might be prideful or otherwise sinful. So some preachers might do well to avoid editing because their particular temptations are at stake. But editing is not inherently wrong. It's simply a tool that, like so many, can be used for either good or evil.

I would think the stewardship issue would be a bigger concern - are the resources and time available to do the edits? If so, I don't see any problem with editing, and recognize the benefit. But one should be willing to regularly ask if there are better uses for the resources.

Strange post....

If books presenting biblical truth can be edited before publishing, why not sermons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back