Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching since the tournament started. Poland - Greece had me on the edge of my seat, but the Russia - Czech game about put me to sleep.

Today is supposed to be a good day of games though. Personally, I'm pulling for Germany.

Dick Advocaat used to manage 2 of my favourite clubs and is going back to 1 of them after the tournament is over. So I will be going for Russia.

Failing that, the Netherlands. Who are being cuffed 1-0 right now.

Here we go ago - the alternate year pain. England qualify welll, don't preform well in the group stages, just get out of group, come up against someone decent, get hammered, back home with tail between legs. I can't see it being different this time. But despite this:

Come on England!!!!

Other sides I will be supporting are Poland, Ukraine (I have friends from these), Netherlands (King Billy and they wear Orange), Czech republic (home of Huss). I know Calvin was French - but that is just a major step too far for almost all English fans (Agincourt come to mind).

The BBC assume that we all support ROI as our second team. This really annoys me, they rebelled against the crown, murdered our troops, left the empire and failed to extradite IRA terrorists.

Do you guys have it televised over there yeh? I'll he most certainly watching throughout. The Czech's cheated us out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2Xpy2jOmk
I won't be supporting anyone I just want to see good football. Spain, Holland and Portugal are usually the best to watch. France and Germany are strong too. England are weaker than usual due to injuries. Italy look past their peak.
I expect Spain to take it.

Tut tut.

Imagine thinking the Roman Catholics are going to win it.

I managed to restrain myself from posting this aspect initially. Pity that Italy, Spain and Croatia are all in the same group = football is no fun when you want both teams to get a hammering.

Only pulling your leg about the ABE - leave that to the nats and the unwashed.

Tut tut.

Imagine thinking the Roman Catholics are going to win it.

Ach they're more Secularist than RC these days. All of them are really except maybe further east.

Not that many years ago that Croatia was murdering Protestants in the camps just for being Protestant. The cardinal responsible is well on his way to being made a saint. As the economies of Europe start to go downhill I fear we will see a resurgence of militant papist activity.

Perhaps I really should just follow cricket. I think Mrs Somerset would be happier if I dropped sport altogether for classical music, though when I start on Macmillan........

I know Calvin was French - but that is just a major step too far for almost all English fans (Agincourt come to mind).

:lol:

I'm supporting England obviously... But I don't really have a second country I support... I enjoy watching Spain play, as well as Germany, but other than that... Not really. England always under-perform, and I don't really expect any different this year... :(

In a lot of ways I like the EURO tourney better than the World Cup. I'll be pulling for Ireland and probably one of the host countries. I have a soft spot in my heart for Eastern Europe. (Would actually love to do FT missions there one day, especially in Wroclaw (Breslau).

Protestant? They didn't murder Protestants, the people they murdered were Eastern Orthodox. I wouldn't call them Protestant anyway. Unless you're referring to separate incidents.

In a lot of ways I like the EURO tourney better than the World Cup. I'll be pulling for Ireland and probably one of the host countries. I have a soft spot in my heart for Eastern Europe. (Would actually love to do FT missions there one day, especially in Wroclaw (Breslau).

Romanists and communists?
Lol just kidding. Why Ireland?

I always like to see the Dutch do well, but I would think Germany would be the most likely winners. A lot of people have fancied the Russians and they were impressive last night. Personally if it was a France/Sweden final with the Ukraine as the 3rd placed team then it would be great. I would like to see the Republic of Ireland do well but they do have a hard group.

Deutschland. Like the Dutch, as well.

Love the emotion of the players, coaches, and fans. I think watching the reactions of the coaches is the best of all. Well, that and watching some great European competition. We Americans have nothing that can rival the passion and intensity of these types of events.

Protestant? They didn't murder Protestants, the people they murdered were Eastern Orthodox. I wouldn't call them Protestant anyway. Unless you're referring to separate incidents.

During the Second world War the Croat authorities killed baptists in the camps. certainly most of those killed where Jews or orthodox - but only because there were not very many Protestants to start with.

Love the emotion of the players, coaches, and fans. I think watching the reactions of the coaches is the best of all. Well, that and watching some great European competition. We Americans have nothing that can rival the passion and intensity of these types of events.

Sadly much of this passion comes from centuries of wars and hatred, as my previous posts show only too well. Only thing I can say in defence of these attitudes is that if we all confined ourselves to just hoping nations we don't like lose a football match - no harm is done to anyone.

Romanists and communists?
Lol just kidding. Why Ireland?

The Irish side of my family (Dempsey) is from Killeigh, County Offaly and (Preston) Kilmacrenan, County Donegal. But like most Americans I am good old mutt. ;)

I was completely surprised by the Netherlands defeat at the hands of Denmark, but Germany's win over Portugal was ausgezeichnet! I'm pulling for my beloved German national team. Ja, Deutschland!

I was surprised by the Netherlands defeat as well Jeff, but it's hardly a surprise since the entirety of Group B is ranked in the Top 10 internationally.

Sadly much of this passion comes from centuries of wars and hatred, as my previous posts show only too well. Only thing I can say in defence of these attitudes is that if we all confined ourselves to just hoping nations we don't like lose a football match - no harm is done to anyone.

Do you really think this is the case with the teams competing in this competition? I really don't think it is. The likes of Germany and England were right at the heart of both wars but these wars don't even enter into their minds today at these games. I would expect the same is true of France, Holland, Spain and Italy. The only countries where there is any of this possibly influencing fans behaviour is perhaps Russia vs Poland.

I think the passion is down to a rich history in the Sport and just the fact that Football is the god of Europe.

My two predictions of Netherlands and Russia (dark horses) are out. I've enjoyed the competition, it has been a lot better than previous tournaments at this stage. I really do not want 24 teams in 2016.

In Christ

If England play well against the Ukraine, hopefully we'll be able to top our group and possibly reach the Semi-finals! I find a lot of countries not in the Euro's, really like the Dutch and German's, but nobody likes the English... Though, to be fair, our style of play isn't that great ;)

If England play well against the Ukraine, hopefully we'll be able to top our group and possibly reach the Semi-finals! I find a lot of countries not in the Euro's, really like the Dutch and German's, but nobody likes the English... Though, to be fair, our style of play isn't that great ;)

Looks like England finished on top, although the win over Ukraine was not an easy one. My brother really likes England, and I like them as well, although I don't see them as dominant as Germany or Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back