Europe from its Origins - Podcast Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelspotts

Puritan Board Freshman
I just finished Europe from its Origins, a 25-hour video podcast (iTunes, free) that culminates in the terrible siege of Constantinople by the Turks. I am stunned. Anyone who thinks history is dry stuff is either ignorant or heartless. History is the study of another's present, full of events as real and visceral as anything felt today.

The image of the last Emperor, aware of his place in a royal line stretching back over one-thousand years, fighting to his death in the Romanus gates at an odds of sixteen to one—the bizarre, guttural melodies of the horde of deep-chested Janissary killers singing with swords aloft—the idea of thousands upon thousands of citizens crowding into the ancient Hagia Sophia, cowering and crying out as battering rams burst against the brass doors and surrounded everywhere by sublime mosaics depicting the end of the world—the prayers of a multitude rebounding off cavernous walls, refracting the strange sound of faith, either shattering or crystalizing into harder, denser forms; the sound of eschatology being instantly disavowed or reinterpreted—husbands, wives, and children separated, screaming, stolen away to slavery in the deserts, torture or execution.

I recommend the series as a helpful window into the development of Eastern and Western Christianity, and how often they nearly unified. Not without fault, the series is especially skillful in its display of Islam's true colors as anything but tolerant of other—or even its own—people with different beliefs.

I just finished reading Queen of Cities by Andrew Novo. It is essentially a historical fiction novel that flows much like Jeff Shaara's God's and Generals, only the topic is that of the Fall of Constantinople. Andrew Novo specializes in Mediterranean history, and I really enjoyed how he brought the whole story line to life.

I find the siege and fall of Constantinople to be one of the most saddening events in the history of Western civilization. After doing a lot of study on the topic, it reminds me so much of the battle for Minas Tirith in the Lord of the Rings. Both Minas Tirith and Constantinople were the shining jewels of the West, and both cities were considered the most fortified cities of their time. Furthermore, both cities stood as the last defense against the East. The only difference between the two is that when Constantinople calls for help from the West, they receive very little. Instead of a glorious ending that we see in the Lord of the Rings, where the men of the West rise victorious, in reality the city of Constantinople falls in a massive blood bath, never to recover. It is very sad to know that a city which had been an important center for Christianity for over 1000 years, and had held back the forces of Islam for 800 years, was lost forever. I think it was only afterwards that the rest of Europe finally realized how important Constantinople was. The Muslim Turks eventually pushed to the gates of Vienna several hundred years later, but if Constantinople had not held back the Turks for such a long period of time prior to this, who knows what the fate of Europe would have been?

Anyways, I strongly recommend reading Novo's book. And for those who love history, I think the siege and fall of Constantinople is an event worth taking the time to study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back