Evangelical Reformed Tracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalawine

Puritan Board Junior
Can anyone help me out here? Before I became Reformed in my theology I used to hand out tracts when I was evangelizing. Today I would like to be more picky about what I give people. Can anyone here recommend a good "Reformed tract?"

Why not write your own! There's nothing like a tract that's personalized to the situation if that's possible.

To be honest, I'm not really a big fan of tracts, but they can be useful after you have a conversation with someone. The struggle I have with many tracts is that they are either gimmicky or not substantial enough. I like the Two Ways tracts but I personally wish they used a better version of the Bible.

When I go to the coffee shop to study I always bring some of the classic "Ultimate Questions" by John Blanchard with me. I have stapled my calling card to them and if I talk to someone, I give it to them. Or, I have something handmade (like invitations to an outreach supper) which I give out. And (just for Tim/Grymir) I just bought some 60 cent ESV New Testaments which provide a basic introduction to the Scriptures and a reading guide. They bill themselves as "a good place to start" understanding what Christianity is about and I'm inclined to agree. I'm happy to have them now to distribute despite my preference for providing a "full sword" which here in Canada is about $7 for a newsprint ESV.

Another source of some decent Reformed tracts that you can print yourself is by Peter Jeffery. The nice thing is that if you buy the CD they come as formatted full color pdfs you can print yourself. Some are better than others, but if you're not satisfied with any of them you can at least get some ideas for your own.

And if you're not familiar with Peter Jeffery he's written many helpful basic tracts and books for the unconverted and new Christians. I believe he's a British Reformed Baptist.

But honestly, I would like to see more of us write our own. I am in the thinking process for one for our church. My uncle in England started a very successful newsletter where he researched the local church history (easier to do in historically Protestant England) and weaved in the Gospel with very localized neighbourhood church history. It's here where we need to use our imagination to extend the Gospel message. But, please don't divorce it from the personal contact and, if at all possible, verbal testimony/witness.

The "Way of the Master" tracts are good. They use the law to convict of sin and then call the person to repentance and faith. I've heard Dr. John Piper makes a tract and I imagine its pretty good.

Looks good, Kevin.

I like to use it as a guide for a one-on-one coffee shop (Tim Horton's) conversation. I then give the person a copy of the tract to keep.

In practice I find all tracts a bit unsatisfactory. Even the best of them never seem to do the topic justice, they are no substitute for spending time & eating (as covenantalbaptist pointed out!).

The Southern Baptist Seminary has some tracts called GRACE. From what I remember of them, they are excellent. They are a little pricey...something like $2 or $2.50 each. Worth checking into, though.

The Southern Baptist Seminary has some tracts called GRACE. From what I remember of them, they are excellent. They are a little pricey...something like $2 or $2.50 each. Worth checking into, though.

Do you have a link?

Looks good, Kevin.

I like to use it as a guide for a one-on-one coffee shop (Tim Horton's) conversation. I then give the person a copy of the tract to keep.

In practice I find all tracts a bit unsatisfactory. Even the best of them never seem to do the topic justice, they are no substitute for spending time & eating (as covenantalbaptist pointed out!).

Hey Kevin,

Just thought I'd let you know - Timmy's is my regular evangelism location too, although two weeks ago I was tempted by the free internet access at Starbucks. It's interesting the different kinds of people that are attracted to each store.

BTW, is Monergism shipping to Canada again or do you have a Canadian supplier for that tract?

Evangelism Explosion (started by D. James Kennedy) has a basic tract that walks you through the Gospel.
They have an online version that you can read through here, but I know they print out the same tract that you can order here.

I hate the Million Dollar Tracts. Bait and Switch.

I really like Blanchard's Ultimate Questions. The Peter Jeffery tracts are good too. That "Two ways to live" tract is very good too, and visually appealing too.

I don't like tracts that shout in your face, "Your a hell-bound sinner," unless you give it to a person who already knows this. Many folks have little conception of sin and a book like Ultimate Questions will speak about what's wrong with the world and then explain sin rather than take the knowledge of sin for granted.

Some here will differ with me, but here is my opinion:

I think that many tracts are too "in your face." I have had door-to-door evangelists come to MY house, and I myself have not liked the message of Christianity due to them. "Do you realize that you need to repent for your sins before you go to hell..." is not the best of opening lines within the first 5 minutes.

Looks good, Kevin.

Hey Kevin,

Just thought I'd let you know - Timmy's is my regular evangelism location too, although two weeks ago I was tempted by the free internet access at Starbucks. It's interesting the different kinds of people that are attracted to each store.

BTW, is Monergism shipping to Canada again or do you have a Canadian supplier for that tract?

I normaly buy from "the banner", however I just picked up a bunch from Haddington House for a buck each!

Why not write your own! There's nothing like a tract that's personalized to the situation if that's possible.

True, but if I weren't a little pushed for time sometimes I wouldn't dream of handing someone a tract

To be honest, I'm not really a big fan of tracts, but they can be useful after you have a conversation with someone. The struggle I have with many tracts is that they are either gimmicky or not substantial enough. I like the Two Ways tracts but I personally wish they used a better version of the Bible.

I really don't care for tracts myself but I would like to leave people with something simple to keep their mind occupied. Unfortunately, in today's America, people are so ignorant of doctrine. I mean, when I was a kid (in the 60's and 70's) people (at least in Mississippi) seemed to know what they were accepting or rejecting. Today we seem to need 5 hours to make them understand that they are sinners!

Interesting conversation. I haven't been using tracts, although I have nothing against them. I've been inviting folks I talk to at Caribou Coffee to church.

I use a CD from Day One

It's called "Who wants to be a millionare" and it includes 32 tracts which you can print yourself and include your church details on if you want.

It is all in PDF format and as a whole are very good.
Tracts are done by Peter Jeffrey and the Publisher is DayOne.

We're Calvinists. We don't evangelize, remember?

Then I must not be that kind of Calvinist. :gpl:

-----Added 12/7/2008 at 08:34:53 EST-----

Do you have a link?

Is this it?

Appears to be...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back