Examples of Scriptures we Confess but Don't Really Believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I'm trying to come up with some illustrations of how we confess belief in specific Scriptures but our lives reflect the opposite of what we confess we believe as "conservative Evangelicals".

To get the ideas flowing, we confess we believe:

Matthew 18:15 - Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

In practice, however, when our brother trespasses against us we often tell our Elders or gossip about him. Furthermore, when we are told that we've sinned we often do not receive correction but are offended by the notion that we have sinned.

Any other obvious examples that many Christians would recognize?

I wonder about Hebrews 12. WE confess a great cloud of witnesses in church, but how many of us actually think departed saints and angels are in our congregation worshipping with us?

I started some threads a while back on angels and a lot of people thought I was going off the deep end, though I was only summarizing the historic church teaching on death, the soul, and angels (and CS Lewis).

1) 1Pet.2:13, "Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme,"

2) 2Cor.10:4, "For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds."

3) Act.23:5, "...it is written, 'You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.'"

It seems to me routine for American conservative evangelicals to think regarding themselves that, 1) they are in general "above" any willing submission or suffering, 2) they are able to bring about righteousness using political tools, and 3) contrary to the third commandment (see Ex.22:28) and Christ's example (see 1Pet.2:23), they may damn those in office whom they deem their enemies.

This scripture comes to mind every time I watch TV.

Phill 4:8 (KJV) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I am afraid many Christians use abortifacient birth control. Some, at least, in ignorance. By abortifacient, I mean the IUD, Norplant, the pill, all of which and and perhaps even usually do work by causing early abortion, not by preventing contraception.

Regardless of our opinions on preventing contraception, the abortifacient methods are obviously contra Scripture.

Thinking of myself more highly than I ought, forgetting that I am justified by faith alone (and no more justified by anyone else who believes). It's easy to acknowledge that I'm a sinner, it's harder to give "preference to one another" (Rom. 12:10) as if they actually matter to me more than I do.

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." (1 Tim. 1:15)

....but how many of us actually think departed saints and angels are in our congregation worshipping with us?

Say what? I think you're taking "surrounded" (Hebrews 12.1) a little too literally.

Yes. Hebrews 11:2 says the elders obtained a "good report." The cloud of witnesses are not the individuals themselves but their believing testimony as recorded in the 11th chapter.

The Sabbath Day....
Pray without ceasing...
Keep your mind on things above not on things of the earth....
Do not worry about about tomorrow for tomorrow has worries enough of it's own....

I'm trying to come up with some illustrations of how we confess belief in specific Scriptures but our lives reflect the opposite of what we confess we believe as "conservative Evangelicals".

As many and varied and extensive as unbelief remains in the hearts of God's people, but interesting and maybe practical line of thought, nonetheless.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Colossians 3 comes mind. Since we are risen in Christ, we must seek the things which are above, and all that follows.

[BIBLE]John 13:34-35[/BIBLE]

One thing I have been struck with in my traveling for work, is that many of my co-workers who say they are Christian, will never seek out other believers wherever they've traveled to, choosing instead to "commune alone" in their hotel rooms. It is a blessing to fellowship with brothers and sisters outside my own denomination.

I'm with Matthew: where to start (or end)?

I think that we break all the commandments regularly in varying degrees of thought, word, and deed. And we are blind and deaf to it. So perhaps I am saying that one of our besetting sins is that we fail to see how sinful we are. And we also fail to see how gracious and loving God is.

As I grow older, I am impressed more and more with how self-pitying and ungrateful I can be, failing to see (as I said above) the never-failing goodness and greatness of God in His unwavering love. I often fail, then, to see both how sinful I am and how loved I am, all of which render me not at spiritually sensitive as I should be and lead to murmuring, self-pity, and the like. It can manifest itself in the way that Bruce mentioned (or Sarah, Tim, Logan, et al.)

As I said, quoting Matthew, "where to start (and end)?"

Peace,
Alan

Thanks everyone. Keep the thoughts coming. My aim is to sort of "surprise" people with just how little we collectively believe about the Word of god. We Evangelicals supposedly stand on the Word and we can nod in agreement with much that is preached only to find ourselves doing the opposite and not bringing the reproof of the Word to bear in our conduct and thoughts.

I agree with those who ask where to begin and end. What I'm sort of looking for are the more "obvious" examples. A number of good examples have already been offered. For example, you won't find too many people arguing with you that we're not supposed to worry. I also think that the Word brings sharp rebuke to many of us who show no respect to magistrates.

I sort of want it to be a teachable illustration like the Parables where the listener is forced to agree with everything Jesus is teaching only to suddenly find himself condemned in the Parable.

How about the Great commission?

All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you....

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.....

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near....

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.....

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

Great thread, Rich.

For the Church, in general, I've been thinking about this one a lot lately:
"24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." (Hebrews 10:24-25)

For me, on a personal level, I'm with Tim above:
"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." (1 Tim. 1:15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back