Examples of Whole Congregations Emigrating Together to New World

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammondjones

Puritan Board Junior
I'm very interested in any examples of an entire congregation (of large part of it) emigrating to the new world as a congregation.

I am presently aware of two:

1. The "Cahans Exodus" (1764) - Large portion of Associate Synod congregation of Ballybay, county Monaghan emigrates to New York under Rev. Dr. Thomas Clark

2. Salzburger Emigrants (1734) - 300 Salzburgers emigrate to Georgia (of the ~20k Lutherans expelled from the Archbishopric of Salzburg) under pastor Johann Boltzius

Are there any other examples that I should be aware of?

The Wends of Texas were a group of 558 Sorbian/Wendish people who emigrated from Lusatia (Germany) to Texas in 1854 under their pastor John Kilian.
They were a group of Lutherans resisting a forced merger of Reformed and Lutheran churches by King Frederick William the 3rd of Prussia.

There is a need little community that we pass when we head to College Station a couple times a year to visit our son at A&M. We have always wanted to stop in but have never had the time.

I am pretty sure whole congregations of Dutch reformed persons came to Michigan in the 1800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back