Excited for this release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Doyle

Puritan Board Junior
I am looking forward to the April 2010 release. Any thoughts?

Riddleblog - The Latest Post - Pre-Publication Info on Horton's TheologyText

-----Added 7/24/2009 at 06:31:35 EST-----

I have read a couple of works by Horton and I really enjoy his insights including, "Introducing Covenant Theology."

Michael Horton’s highly anticipated The Christian Faith represents his magnum opus and will be viewed as one of—if not the—most important systematic theologies since Louis Berkhof wrote his in 1932.

Is there any way we can get the hype machine to settle down a little bit? It has not even been printed yet and it already is being touted as "the most important systematic theology since Louis Berkhof...".

I have profited from some of Horton's writings, and this may be a worthy read and resource, but I agree with Benjamin regarding the hype. It is truly astounding how the "business" of Christianity has become so sensationalistic, in terms of its marketing and pr. Rather than await release, consumption, and immediate/historical impact as a resource for Christ's church, we get claims prior to release such as this one. This seems to be getting more common. The hype and marketing of the English Standard Version immediately comes to mind...

I agree to a degree and assert, my excitement is merely because I have enjoyed his other works and insights. I am not the Horton hype machine if you will.
He is a brother in high regard.

Michael,

Please accept my apologies if I came across as though you were part of the "hype" I referred to. That was not my intent. We are blessed beyond belief to have access to a great number of scholarly works in this day and age and, perhaps, Horton's work will eventually be considered as such. My comment was aimed more at the wording used in the promotion of the book, as it seems to mirror much of what is going on in the marketing of Christian resources.

I really hope that he presents a Continental Reformed ecclesiology in this work. While I enjoyed People and Place: A Covenant Ecclesiology, I was dismayed that he did not really tackle the true/false church distinction of the Belgic Confession in much detail or with contemporary application. I realize that it makes for tenser discussions with neo-evangelicals, mainliners, etc., but I really believe that URC ministers should boldly address the important question of "Where is the true church to be found?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back