Exclusive psalmody congregations of the world - Google Maps

Discussion in 'A capella Exclusive Psalmody' started by Tim, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim Puritan Board Graduate

Updated January 21, 2011

I have prepared a Google Maps listing intended to list every congregation in the world that practices exclusive psalmody. There are separate maps for each region. The maps will be published at: exclusivepsalmodychurches.wordpress.com

and are also featured at Mark Koller's website: exclusivepsalmody.com

I have been pleased to find more congregations than expected and work is ongoing.

[​IMG]

Information needs:

• any independent congregations that have been missed
    • EP churches from non-EP denominations (easily overlooked)
    • congregations anywhere that are considered "mission works"
    I have completed these EP denominations:

American Presbyterian Church, Associated Presbyterian Churches, Australian Free Church, Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Australia, Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, Presbyterian Reformed Church, Reformed Presbyterian Church of Australia, Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland, Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, Reformed Presbyterian Church of Scotland, Southern Presbyterian Church, Westminster Presbyterian Church in the United States, as well as many independent EP churches.

I have completed EP congregations in these non-EP denominations:

Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, Church of Scotland, Free Church of Scotland, Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika, Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Presbyterian Church in America, RPC General Assembly, RPC Hanover Presbytery.

Here are the links:

North America, Scottish Highlands, Scottish Lowlands, Ireland, England & Wales, Europe & Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia & NZ.

Work still to do:

Protestant Reformed Church, Heritage Netherlands Reformed, Free Reformed Churches of North America, Zending Gereformeerde Gemeenten, Hersteld Hervormde Kerk, Oud Gereformeerde Gemeenten in Nederland, etc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

Thanks for your pioneering, innovating to make this happen.

It will be helpful to many.

3. John Lanier

John Lanier Puritan Board Junior

You forgot us.

Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

4. Tim

Thanks very much for the reminder. You were on my list, but I'll do it right now.

5. John Lanier

Thanks for all the hard work. This will be great when my family and I travel.

6. Tim

7. MLCOPE2

MLCOPE2 Puritan Board Junior

The Immanuel RPC in West Lafayette, IN has a newer address than the one listed. It is:

1893 E. 600 N.
    West Lafayette, IN 47906

Thanks for this awesome resource!

8. Tim

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I have made the note.

9. JP Wallace

JP Wallace Puritan Board Sophomore

10. FenderPriest

FenderPriest Puritan Board Junior

This is very intriguing. I'm not very good as my sociological history of America, but it seems to me that the concentration and flow of locations on the map are what the Dutch Reformed immigration direction would have been in America's history. Is that correct?

11. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

The RPCNA has 92 congregations/preaching stations. You have us with 83.

12. KMK

KMK Administrator Staff Member

Which of those denoms require EP?

13. ADKing

ADKing Puritan Board Junior

Wow. Look at that map of North America and see how disproportionate it is! We have our work cut out for us in the West! Also, in Canada there is the Shelter RPCNA of Edmonton and the Associated Presbyterian Church of Vancouver that are both EP. I know that the Free Church of Scotland has recently allowed non-Ep practice but I wonder if some of the Canadian congregations retain the practice on Prince Edward Island? There is also a Free Church of Scotland (continuing) congregation in Smiths Falls, Ontario.

14. John Lanier

Surprisingly, we do have a lot of EP churches in Kansas. We have a good RPCNA presence here.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

The biggest surprise to me is the Southeast US. The so called Bible Belt looks pretty blank.

15. CIT

CIT Puritan Board Post-Graduate

The "Bible Belt" is code word for Baptist.

16. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

Exceptional work. Thankyou, Tim.

17. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Looks like the Odessa, Ukraine congregation ended up in the wrong place. It's showing up between Moscow and St. Petersburg.

----

Singapore has floated off to the Northeast, as well.

18. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

I doubt that many FC congregations have abandoned EP, yet. Maybe one at least.

Perth (Knox) Free Church is EP with no musical instruments, as is Perth Free Presbyterian Church.

The APC -formed in 1989 - is a small Scottish EP denomination.

APC | Associated Presbyterian Churches

19. markkoller

markkoller Puritan Board Freshman

Tim,

This is a great resource! Thank you for putting it together for all of us to use. I have embedded the maps into the "Churches" page of www.exclusivepsalmody.com , though I am still trying to work on the layout.

Thanks again brother!

20. he beholds

he beholds Puritan Board Doctor

21. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I just got driving directions to the Rockhampton Congregation:

22. N. Eshelman

Tim, Missing from the World map are the RPCSS (Reformed Presbyterian Church of Southern Sudan).

There are, I believe, 6 congregations/preaching stations there.

There are also 50 RPHCA (Reformed Presbyterian House Churches of Asia) that are not on the map.

Their location is not allowed to be on the web though for obvious political reasons. There is also an RP Church in Cyprus that is not on the map.

We also have some underground congregations in the middle east as well. They cannot go on the map either.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

I did not see these in Tasmania either (at least there was not a dot color). Did you get these?

Southern Presbyterian Church web site

My friend from college and seminary, Terreth Klaver, is a pastor there.

23. RTaron

RTaron The Grandpa (Affectionately Called)

Yes, pray for the work of reformation out west.

24. N. Eshelman

And remember that I am the home mission board representative for the West Coast in the RPCNA. Gimme a call- let's plant some psalm singin' churches!

25. Tim

Thanks very much everybody. I have noted all the contributions and information given above. Some of the omissions may have been because I still had to place a few congregations from the bigger denominations. However, there were also several congregations that I had not uncovered in my research.

Here is what I still need to include:

• Reformed Presbyterian Church of Scotland
    • finish Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland
    • finish Free Church of Scotland (continuing)
    • include the world mission works of RPCNA/other RP associates/
    • add any independent works that I might have missed
    • Associated Presbyterian Church
    • Free Church of Scotland

26. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

Wow. When the pins are so big in relation to the maps, it looks like the world is full of EP churches.

27. ADKing

ADKing Puritan Board Junior

Two other independent churches that may have been missed (or at least I missed seeing them!)

1. Liberty and Grace Reformed (Andrew Meyers' and Rev. Steven Dilday's congregation)
    2. Home Page Presbyterian Reformed Fellowiship (not a member of the PRC--Rev Bill Marshall, pastor)

28. TexanRose

TexanRose Puritan Board Sophomore

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  29. Rev. Todd Ruddell

Rev. Todd Ruddell Puritan Board Junior

Wow Tim! What a resource. Good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.