Exclusive Psalmody Debate (at long last)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
The long promised first debate for the Puritan Board Debate Forum has been set up. Due to prior commitments the agreed up start of the Debate will be sometime between mid December and January 1st. Here are the Details:

DEBATE: What Should be the Content of Public Worship Song? Debate Question: Is there clear and sufficient warrant given in Scripture for the composition of uninspired writings for use as song in the public worship of the Church?

For the Affirmative:
Andrew J. Webb, a minister in the Presbyterian Church in America, currently serving the Providence Presbyterian Church in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

For the Negative:
Rev. Matthew Winzer, of the Australian Free Church, currently serving in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia.

This will be a formal essay debate. Two moderators representing each point of view on the question, have been chosen to review the essays prior to posting to be sure the debate stays on track and in accordance with the question and rules set for this debate. These are the Rev. Fredrick T. Greco, Senior Pastor of Christ Church PCA, Katy, Texas, and the Rev. Dr. Frank J. Smith, Ph.D., D.D., Pastor of the Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church of Sheboygan, Wisconsin.General Stipulations to which both sides agree:
Agreement with WCF 21.5; 1.6.
i.e. The Regulative Principle of Worship:
i.e. The Confession’s distinction between parts/elements of worship and circumstances.
i.e. Worship Song as a distinct element of worship.

General format:
The affirmative of the question opens the debate. He has up to a month to draft this first essay (each subsequent essay whether an argument or a response to one, or an answer to a question, has two weeks). The opening essay will state the affirmative of the question and will adduce a list of the supporting arguments for the position and proceed with the presentation of the first supporting argument. However many the number of arguments, the debater should go from the least to the most strong of the arguments in his judgment. As this opening essay sets up the structure of the debate, it is the most important, and more time is given to draft it.

The first post for the Negative will state the negative and argue against the first supporting argument (he has two weeks to reply).

The Affirmative replies, and the Negative closes the exchange with a reply (again each have up to two weeks).

There will then be a question "round." The Negative begins. These questions must concern the first argument, are to be pertinent questions without commentary, alternating between debaters with the Affirmative asking the last question. There should be at least two questions, and there will be no more than 12 questions for each “round”. For this particular debate the format will not be open to questions from the audience.

The debate will continue through enough rounds to cover the number of arguments given in the opening essay with each round getting a question round of 2 to 12 questions.

Each argument, reply, and each reply to questions will be no more than 2500 words. These are formal essays, so formal style is required; i.e. these are not internet posts. [review the general Debate Forum rules here on this and other points). After the opening essay, each debater has two weeks to draft each essay, whether an argument, a reply or an answer to a question. Before any of these are posted the two moderators of the debate will review each piece to make sure the debate is on track and that they are in keeping with debate stipulations and general Christian deportment. This goes on behind the scenes. If something gets by the moderators and it becomes apparent that it needs addressing, they may issue a ruling, but otherwise they remain strictly behind the scenes.

Lord willing, this will be an extensive and thorough debate of the question that will become a great resource on a topic so often discussed here on The Puritan Board.

Prior to commencing the debate there will be a moratorium on discussing the topic of exclusive psalmody until the debate is concluded. Members should also review the general Debate Forum rules in the link above pertaining to board behavior during the debate.

Can't wait.
popcorn2.gif

It looked like there was no place where the negative could present more than a rebuttal or answer to objections in that format. Am I reading the format explanation correctly?

It will be very enlightening.

Debates are very enlightening but the truth is not always the victor in debates. The winner of the debate just presents their argument better sometimes, even if they are wrong. So even if one is persuaded by a debater, a person should always try to pursue further knowledge on the debated subject.

It will be very enlightening.

Debates are very enlightening but the truth is not always the victor in debates. The winner of the debate just presents their argument better sometimes, even if they are wrong. So even if one is persuaded by a debater, a person should always try to pursue further knowledge on the debated subject.

Acts 17:11 :up:

:worms:When is the debate on the regulative principle of worship and how far to take it? Singing is only a small part of it!

:worms:When is the debate on the regulative principle of worship and how far to take it? Singing is only a small part of it!

Good point Shelly. The regulative principle of worship comes first. One must decide which version of the RPW the Scriptures teach. Psalmody acappella comes by way of applying the RPW specifically to the element of song in worship.

By the way, I have much respect for Andy, but Mr. Winzer will win :coffee:

In His grace,

Ok folks.:lol: Let's not turn "my" announcement thread into an odds maker's.;) Settle back and wait for the main event and we can do the analysis and "what I think" afterward.:cheers:

Anybody know where we're at WRT the debate? Original post said it was to take place sometime between mid-Dec and Jan 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back