Exhortation to enter into the Covenant of Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
From The Christian’s Reasonable Service by Wilhelmus A’ Brakel, RHB version, pg. 449-451.

I found this really encouraging, to hear a full blown call for all to believe and to believe NOW. It has been a long while since I have been challenged in this way and I have not heard this call as much as when I was in my former Baptist Church.

Per another thread topic, Brakel calls on the listener to let the fear of his misery drive him to faith in Christ.

Exhortation to Enter into the Covenant of Grace
You who are convinced that as yet you have not entered into this covenant, hear me, and let me persuade you to become a true partaker of the covenant by entering into it.
First, outside of this covenant there is nothing but misery. God is a Judge whom you have provoked to wrath; you are not a partaker of the Surety and His fullness, and you have no part in any of the promises. Rather, all threatenings apply to you, and all judgments rest upon you. All that you enjoy in the world increases your sins and makes your judgment all the heavier, and eternal damnation shall be your portion. “Wherefore remember ... that at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world” (Eph 2:11-12). Awaken, come to yourself, be terrified and tremble! Let the terror of the Lord move you to faith and flee the wrath to come by entering into this covenant of peace.
Secondly, in this covenant the fullness of salvation is to be found. Page back a bit and examine all the promises of this covenant stated previously and consider if there is anything which you would desire in addition to this. If not (for nothing is lacking), embrace this covenant and yield yourself unto the Lord. You will forsake nothing but filth, and you will lay down that which is but a heavy burden. It is a hard and cruel taskmaster whose service you will renounce. Contrary to this, it is God with whom you shall live in peace and friendship. This consists of nothing but light, love, joy, and pure holiness, which all partakers of the covenant will enjoy both now and forever. Why do you still hesitate? Come, make a resolution, and enter into this covenant.
Thirdly, it is God Himself who beseeches you. He comes to you and calls out, “Turn unto Me and be ye saved.” He sent His only begotten Son, and through Him He speaks to you. Will you then not hear God? Will you turn from Him who is from heaven? The Lord sends His servants, and presently also me, unto you. How they labor, how they beseech you, and what use they make of heart-rending reasons, even of tears, to allure you to enter into this covenant! My dear friend, allow yourself to be persuaded. Be reconciled with God, be conquered by the urgency of love, as well as by all the prayers of ministers sent up to God on your behalf.
Fourthly, the Lord shall turn no one away who in truth comes unto Him through Christ—even if for so many years you have been disobedient to this friendly offer; even if until now your entire life has been nothing but sin; and even if until now you have done abominable things, are a murderer, an adulterer and fornicator, a thief, a slanderer, and a liar. If only you would but acknowledge your sin, have true sorrow, and have a true desire to be a partaker of this covenant in all its ramifications, and of its Surety so that through Him alone you may become a partaker of all these benefits. Be not discouraged, for there is hope concerning this matter. Come, for the Lord will certainly not cast you out, but will receive you, as He has said. You may observe this in all the promises, such as in John 6:37, “Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.”
You who are truly partakers of this covenant (which you may know from that which we have said previously), first of all, rejoice and delight yourself in being a partaker of all these benefits and over the steadfastness of this covenant, even though you do not enjoy as much of this as you desire. One day you shall enjoy all this in full measure.
Secondly, reflect upon God as He presently is in this covenant, and transact with Him as a partaker of this covenant who has been graciously received by Him. With humble boldness come into His presence, pray in faith for the enjoyment of these benefits, expect them with patience, and rely in all things on Him, trusting that He will make all things well.
Thirdly, walk worthy of the gospel, as is fitting for one who is a partaker of this covenant. Do not be influenced by your former friends, the world and all that is to be found in it. Deny your fleshly lusts, be heavenly minded, let your conversation be in heaven, and let your light shine among men in order that they may perceive that a more excellent spirit is in you than in them. Strive for humility and meekness; strive to love your enemies; behave yourself wisely in the pathway of uprightness, and be holy as He is holy who has received you into His covenant.
Fourthly, walk in love and peace with other partakers of the covenant. Let the world observe that you are one in heart and soul, and may your example stir up all other partakers of the covenant, so that the mutual love of many may kindle a fire which may ignite those who are without.
Fifthly, magnify God concerning this great work. Be diligent not merely to enumerate the perfections of God unveiled in this covenant, but seek to plumb their depth, so that your soul may lose itself in amazement, and your tongue may be loosened to “shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (1 Pet 2:9). “Praise the Lord, call upon His Name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that His Name is exalted. Sing unto the Lord; for He hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee” (Isa 12:4-6).
Just plain and good Lord’s Day meditation:detective:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back