Exit stage right, or was that left

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorway

Puritan Board Senior
To the members, moderators, and admins of the Puritan Board:

Having joined the Puritan Board within its first few weeks of existence I have been a part of this online community long enough to see us go through many changes. Changes in theology are usually obvious on these pages. Some people change. Some do not. Some should. Some change and change back. Some should just stop trying!

As a member and later as a moderator and then as administrator I have seen great battles of the faith fought here. In the early years it often happened that a heretic or lunatic stepped into our world and those of the "Reformed Faith" stood lock step in defending the truth of the Word of God in repelling the barbarian invaders.

At times the battles were fought with those who appeared to be among us and of us but proved that they were not. At other times, sadly, those battles have been between true believers and have included personal attacks and hurtful statements that have left people wounded and even bitter. Simply put, Christians need to learn how to debate in a way that glorifies God or they need to shut up. It does more harm than good to argue for the truth when we conduct ourselves like heathens in the process.

I could take the time to focus on the good and bad, but those of you who have been here for any length of time could produce the same list I am sure. We have a few members who are truly pastors to the church of God. Others who are keyboard and internet theologians who should be locked in a sound proof room without internet access for all the damage they try to do to the truth of the Word of God and to His people. So many want to be teachers and so many will pay a high price because of the high standard God sets for those who handle His Word.

Most members though fall in the middle of these extremes. Just honest and faithful disciples of Jesus Christ trying to understand and apply the Word, desiring to be hearers and doers. This is to be commended.

But my real concern, and the reason I have taken the time to write all this out, is that we have allowed the internet to begin to replace the church. Maybe not fully or completely, but while we work at the task of making disciples we have missed one crucial point. There is no such thing as a virtual disciple or a virtual Christian.

The friendships from this board that mean the most are those on the board whom we have met face to face. This is not always the case, as I have many dear friends that I have not seen on this earth yet. But true disciple making, true growth in grace, involves personal contact meeting the needs of others where they are. Being a follower of Jesus Christ and caring for the least of these is a hands on mission!

But in our virtual world of discipleship here, since membership in the board has been refined and narrowed we have seen a limit on topics of discussion. Indeed, while there is so much we agree upon, the areas of focus tend to be areas of small secondary matters that divide denominations and even groups within denominations of reformed churches. That meant more need for referees and moderation. And while we have never banned that many people (around 30 out of hundreds of members) it is a tough job to moderate this board! We have had several periods of great upheavel, great battles, hot debate, and other times of quiet and even times where not much was said for days at a time.

But the truth that we need such oversight and moderation is really sad to me. We are suppossed to be believers, fellow Christians, members of the Body of Christ. And yet too often of late we see a great divide where hands are spurning the feet even as members of the same body.

Some of it is young zeal with little knowledge. Many think that a few months study does a theologian make. The ability to articulate an argument does not mean that we have actually lived the truth contained therein. Some of it is just plain grumpy behavior that really has no place in Christian conversation. At any rate, after a recent hot spot, where several people did leave the board, it was decided that we needed more consistent moderation. But I do not think that cures what ailes us.

The tone of the overall discussion of this board has narrowed and gotten quite shrill over the last year or so. We have seen heated debates about things that are of little consequence to eternity. Of course, those in the debates would claim otherwise. But the truth is that we have even begun to try to put forth a twisted view of Christian liberty that is based more on pride than the Word of God and work of Christ.

A few articles were written as a result. One that I wrote that garnered some attention (and will be leading shortly to future works by both myself and Fred Greco) focused on the difference between discipleship and debate and some of the dangers inherent within internet Christinity.

While we may grow some through debate, the primary means of growing in grace is discipleship. And we see over and over again that virtual discipleship is not a replacement for hands on face to face ministry within a local body and a community.

I am deeply concerned with the narrowness of the drift in the discussions of late. I am concerned about the attitudes displayed in some of our recent discussions. And I am concerned about the direction this board is taking. As it is, some of the major doctrines upheld on this board include many that are far from what the reformed community sees from the Word of God. I am contacted regularly by Baptists and Presbtyerians alike that think some of the focus of the board of late is absurd. A slap at orthodoxy itself!

In fact, here on the forum I responded to a poll not too long ago about whether the board was edifying by answering, "No." The cry that went up for those who did vote no (however anonymously) was that if the board was not edifying then "Why do you stay? Why don't you leave?"

You see, we have become so arrogant and so sure of ourselves that if one sees the board as unedifying then they are not asked, "What is not edifying? What can we do to make it edifying?" No. The response is, "Well, it is edifying to ME, so if it is no longer edifying to you then perhaps you would be better off to leave."

What selfishness. How short-sighted. This is not the spirit of discipleship. It is not even the spirit of debate. It is the spirit of self righteousness that will destroy true ministry and ruin the faith of weaker brothers and sisters.

There is such potential here for good, and such for evil! The word evil at its root means "to harm." And the Puritan Board, with all the good that is here, is quickly falling into an arena where those who participate here lurking and reading and learning are more likely to be harmed than helped in their Christian walk. We cannot risk being called to account for the offending of "little ones."

I have debated for several months what I needed to do as a result. I have prayed and sought counsel. I have spent time in the Word. I have branched out into new areas of ministry, areas that are fruitful and active. I have been challenged by studying and preaching on "fellowship" the last few months. And I have concluded that I must obey Ephesians 5:15-16. I must redeem the time. And bluntly put, moderating the Puritan Board is no longer a wise use of my time. In fact, lately it has detracted from other ministry endeavors, and that cannot be allowed.

The point has been forcefully driven home and it has become clear to me that I cannot remain as an administrator on the Purtian Board. And while I had prepared to make this statement tomorrow (not to distract from the Lord's Day) by voluntarily stepping aside from this position, that opportunity was taken out of my hands as my administrative privileges were revoked by the board ownership earlier this afternoon.

I will maintain my membership at their discretion and will lurk and pop by from time to time, but my days as an administrator within this fellowship have come to an end.

To be totally and painfully honest, part of what motivated me to come to this conclusion this last week is the fact that I am too far out of step with the theological paradigm of the ownership of this board. Don't misunderstand me. I love Matt and Scott. They have sharpened me just as many of you here have. I thank God for bringing me to the Puritan Board. But I cannot endorse the theology or attitudes that have become the focal point of much of the debate on this forum as a result of the shifts in theology across the board and among the owners.

I am not breaking fellowship. I am not leaving hurt, wounded, or hateful. I seek no vengeance or retribution. I am not stepping down because Baptists are in the minority or because many Presbyterians are misrepresented! I am stepping aside because to stay in this position is to endorse the direction and theological emphasis of the board and I cannot make that stand.

For those of you who have come to mean so much to me as friends and especially those who are fellow ministers, you know where to find me! If anyone from the Puritan Board needs anything from me at all I am available to do whatever I am able - just call or email. I am saddened in that I have had to make this choice and in the events that have unfolded today, but am certain at the same time that this is the right thing to do for all concerned.

Humbly and only for the glory of Christ,
Phillip Way

{this article is the original and has not been edited - pastorway}

[Edited on 10-17-05 by pastorway]

Please Don't Leave Pastor. Your one of the main reasons I wanted to come back. I've learned a lot from you over the years and you have helped me in many ways.

Your Friend,
Gregg

:( :( :(

Phillip,

You have been a tremendous pastoral force for good upon me and so many others, always doing your best to shine the light of Scripture into every circumstance. I regret this fellowship has devolved to this point, but I understand your decision. Yet it hurts to lose two of the most faithful moderators in one day. It certainly makes me less inclined to participate here anymore. This place seems to be going to the dogs. :pray2:

Keep in touch by phone and e-mail, brother.

Affectionately yours in Christ,

dC

Phillip, I hope you will stay. Your influence and wisdom have edified me greatly. I understand the use of time, which is why I had to give up the Admin post as well. But I hope you will certainly remain in touch. Your fellowship is a blessing.

My brothers and sisters.I want to apologize myself because most I post on here is nonsense.I am not knowledgeable as most of you all.I post to fellowship and most of the time read to learn.Usually when I read a post that is intelligent,I donnot post a response.I donnot see it as a place for me to respond most of the time.So,when I post things that are meant to be funny,it is done in a reason of getting to know you all.

Phillip:

I am surprised by the posts I see today, yours especially. I am taken aback. I need a day to think about this. All this is taking all my words away, that I don't know what to say. I need to at least say that this saddens me; that I understand in part, but that it saddens me.

Thank you for your service to Christ's Church. You will be missed, but I understand and agree with your decision. In the three years or so that I have been a member, I have posted less than 150 times, but even with that I often wonder where I could better use my time...

Thank you for all your service here on the PB. I don't post here that often anymore (purely because of time), but I have always appreciated your posts and your moderation. Despite our theological differences (which really aren't that much) I have been edified much by your participation and debate. I will miss that. Good luck brother. :(

:(
shakehead.gif

Friends

I am in full agreement with Pastor Way's post. All of it.

I will therefore not be much participating in threads and discussions, but will remain as a member to send and receive U2Us from those whom I have come to know here.

This isn't a matter of taking sides, baptist vs paedo. Far from it. I truly believe that it is about redeeming the time.

God bless you all.

JH

[Edited on 3-21-2006 by JonathanHunt]

I think it may be time for Martin Marprelate to withdraw also.
He came on the forum for a specific purpose- to put forward an understanding of the Scriptures that he felt was being suppressed. Well, it's still being suppressed, as the closure of the two threads of the C.T. board bears mute witness, but at least an alternative voice has been heard, albeit briefly. According to its heading, the C.T. board is 'for those who wish to DEBATE and DISCUSS.' There was precious little of that going on latterly.

Martin apologizes if his voice has sometimes been shriller than it should have been and if he has caused offense to anyone. Unless he is banned, he may yet post again at some stage if the circumstances demand it.

Your brother, Martin
Martin Marprelate, Gent.

to be off stage is not to be out of the theater......

"Two sentences" to highlight (that are part of my priginal post) and then I am off for while to recover from pneumonia by actually getting some rest.

1. I am too far out of step with the theological paradigm of the ownership of this board.

2. I am stepping aside because to stay in this position is to endorse the direction and theological emphasis of the board and I cannot make that stand.

Thanks for all the kind words and notes.
Phillip

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
So what everybody is just giving up?
It's been a long time coming Blade. The censorship on this board has become somewhat oppressive and, as Martin pointed out, "According to its heading, the C.T. board is 'for those who wish to DEBATE and DISCUSS.' There was precious little of that going on latterly."

This is one of the reasons I've withdrawn so much over the past couple of years. I learned tons from this board in the first couple of years. I no longer fit though, due to the theological shift that's taken place since then.

Phillip's words echo my own, almost to the letter. I may step in from time to time to see what's up. It does sadden me though, having been a part of this since day one (which is not longer reflected in my numer of posts, which used to be much, much higher). Back then it was a fellowship diligently pursuing truth. Now... Well, Phillip already dealt with this.

Blessings

For the glory of our King
JKJ

[Edited on 10-17-2005 by Wannabee]

The censorship on this board has become somewhat oppressive and, as Martin pointed out, "According to its heading, the C.T. board is 'for those who wish to DEBATE and DISCUSS.' There was precious little of that going on latterly."

I was going to let this slide, but this is nonsense. Any of the threads that I posted in the thread on "Simple Overview..." demonstrate that no one bothered to take a minute and read the L---O---N----G conversations that went on between those two views (Paedo vs. Credo). We have discussed theset hings at GREAT length. Sometimes rehashing old conversations can be very good. Sometimes, it is just reinventing the wheel all over again. I posted the links so that people could go back and read the tomes we wrote on all that stuff from BOTH sides - none of which were censored. Some are a day late and a dollar short in getting in on the debate. But chiding others to get them into a conversation is not what the board is about - thus the thread was closed.

This is one of the reasons I've withdrawn so much over the past couple of years. I learned tons from this board in the first couple of years. I no longer fit though, due to the theological shift that's taken place since then.

Everyone is able to hold thier own view based on either the WCf or 1689 or 3 Forms of Unity. No one is censoring any material held in those Confessions. They will, however, be moderated so that people don't get too "passionate in thier posts" to the extent that the post is not edifying. But everyone can hold whatever view they would like, so long as they are not falling into heretical doctrine.

Phillip's words echo my own, almost to the letter. I may step in from time to time to see what's up. It does sadden me though, having been a part of this since day one (which is not longer reflected in my numer of posts, which used to be much, much higher). Back then it was a fellowship diligently pursuing truth. Now... Well, Phillip already dealt with this.

I'm not sure he expounded on this - are you saying that people here are NOT prusuing truth and narrowing thier view to reflect something other than that truth? Actually, let's not go there. We appreciate your heartfelt concern though.

[Edited on 10-17-2005 by webmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back