Exodus 20, need help understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Goodwin

Puritan Board Freshman
Thanks for anyone willing to help. I wanted to know what 20 verse 4 of exodus means by "anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." I know it clearly forbids images of the trinity. My thought is it could be saying that you must not let any image whatsoever aid in worship? Very confused. I dont think its saying we cant have images period, right?

Images intended to portray, depict, or otherwise represent the Triune God. That’s what heathen (and Egyptians) do. It shall not be so with you. You will not worship me adopting the manners and customs of the nations around you.

Images intended to portray, depict, or otherwise represent the Triune God. That’s what heathen (and Egyptians) do. It shall not be so with you. You will not worship me adopting the manners and customs of the nations around you.
I agree and understand this and thats what the commandment entails, but why does it say "anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." Does that reference all the places God exists and could be represented sinfully? A reference to the incarnation or the indwelling and ministry of the Holy Spirit? :scratch:

It’s intended to encompass any image of anything anywhere. That’s why. “It doesn’t matter where something exists, whether in heaven, earth, or under the water, you’re not to make any images of such things anywhere in attempts to depict me.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back