Explaining Catastrophes To Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

dece870717

Puritan Board Freshman
From my theological understanding of God, man, sin, and how everything is working to glorify God, I have no problem with catastrophes but what is the best way to explain to unbelievers how catastrophes fit in with God? Are all catastrophes judgment? If someone asked "Where was God in this disaster?", would we respond, "He sent it."?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this issue.

Depends on the person. Here's a good word from the Rev. Stephen Charnock relatedly (Works, Vol. 5, pp. 179-180):

The afflictions of believers are effects of divine love. ‘For whom the Lord loves he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth’: Rev. 3:19, ‘As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.’ They are not acts of divine revenge, whereby God would satisfy his justice; but of divine affection, whereby he communicates his goodness, and draws the image of his Son with more beauty and glory. They are the acts of God, but not of a sleepy and careless God, but a wise and indulgent Father, who takes all the care, both of instruction and correction, to train you up to his will and likeness. God indeed afflicts other men who are not in the number of his beloved children. There are scarce any among the sons of men that pass their life in a continual prosperity, exempt from all kind of affliction; and all these evils are from God as the governor of the world. Yet though there be no difference between the sufferings of one and the other, and though the sufferings of believers are often more sharp than those of carnal men in outward appearance, yet there is a vast difference in the motives of them. Love makes him strike the believer, and fury makes him strike the unregenerate man. The design of the correction of the one is their profit, not their ruin; the strokes upon the other are often the first fruits of eternal punishment.​

And speaking of perceiving outward prosperity as an indication of divine favor, Charnock warns (ibid. pp. 180-181):

God doth not always love those whom his providence preserves in health and ease. Such a conceit proceeds from an ignorance of another life, and too great a valuation of the things of this world. Temporal goods, credit in the world, outward conveniences, and an uninterrupted health, are effects of God’s patience and common goodness, but not of his affection and choicest love. They are the marks of his affection, when, by his grace, they are made means to conduct us to a better inheritance; but how often are they pernicious to us by reason of our corruption and ill usage of them! How often doth the health of the body destroy that of the soul, and the prosperity of the flesh ruin that of the spirit! How often do riches and honours link our hearts to the earth, and expel any thoughts of an heavenly paradise! How often doth a portion in this world make many slack their endeavours for a portion in heaven! How often do they hinder our sanctification, which is the only means to an happy vision of God!​

And, in reference to your last question, essentially we would acknowledge that God has sent it. As to a definitive why He thus sent it, we're not privy. Our duty is to make proper use of the affliction(s), upon due self-examination according to our circumstances.

what is the best way to explain to unbelievers how catastrophes fit in with God? Are all catastrophes judgment?

In September 2001 I heard a great sermon on Amos 3:6 following the attack on the twin towers.

Amos 3:6 (ESV)
Is a trumpet blown in a city, and the people are not afraid?
Does disaster come to a city, unless the Lord has done it?

Romans 1:18, 19
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men,
who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
19 For what can be known about God is plain to them,
because God has shown it to them.

One of the things that God has made plain to all men is that he is angry with mankind and manifests his anger by sending men more wicked to reveal his wrath. All men know this in their inmost being. They ask a question that they already know the answer to hoping that we Christians will aid them in their suppression of the truth. We must not do so. Tell them what they know. God is angry with fallen man.

Some people asked Jesus to explain the atrocity of Pilate against certain Galilaeans. He said in essence that these tragedies are a picture of what all men deserve. Meditate on his response in the verses below.

Luke 13:1-5
1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

PS - I do believe, as has been said above, that troubles come to Christians through the Lord's love and mercy.

God is in charge and has his purposes, and they are ultimately good purposes. But it is a mistake to assume we understand the reasons behind his purposes, as if we could point to a specific natural disaster and say it is judgment for a specific sin. God's wisdom in this sort of thing is beyond figuring out, and he sends the rain (both helpful rains and destructive ones) on the godly and ungodly alike.

Also, God's wisdom in allowing sadness and destruction in this fallen world does not mean he is unsympathetic. He sees the sparrow fall, and surely cares about the suffering of humans. When disasters come upon us, they should remind us that life in this world is not safe even though we may usually live with the appearance of safety, and so they should propel us to turn to our compassionate God for eternal rescue and security.

For believer, and unbeliever alike, a sober reflection on man's fallen estate can be helpful. Usually, if a terrible event has just happened, people are more open to the idea that we are living in a ruined creation. At the very least, it allows empathy, at most, discussing how this fall came about opens the door to the gospel.

If someone asked "Where was God in this disaster?"...
As Christians we need to understand the presupposition of this question. It is a belief that all men, believers and unbelievers, deserve to never have anything "bad" happen to anybody. And they demand this from God. They are the ones who define what the words "bad", "good", "disaster", "evil", etc. mean. So while they may not understand the principle they are asking the question from, they are accusing God of ignoring His "responsibility" to make everybody happy. The fallen nature of man is accusing God.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer how to respond. This only helps us to understand the nature of the question.

As Christians we need to understand the presupposition of this question. It is a belief that all men, believers and unbelievers, deserve to never have anything "bad" happen to anybody. And they demand this from God.

I understand your thinking, and I agree that many people might say things like you mentioned, but in their hearts, they know they deserve the disasters.

See my post #5 above.
Also consider Romans 1:32 for what people know.
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death,
not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Just give them a hug and tell them it will be alright, what more can we do? I'm not trying to be a smartallic but only saying we can't and don't know why God does anything. Explaining that is a bit tricky. Wisdom is needed there. Good luck.

For believer, and unbeliever alike, a sober reflection on man's fallen estate can be helpful. Usually, if a terrible event has just happened, people are more open to the idea that we are living in a ruined creation. At the very least, it allows empathy, at most, discussing how this fall came about opens the door to the gospel.
Was thinking the same. Its a fallen world and none of us are exempt from disaster, sickness etc. I think that is the best response.

I have heard James White say that the Judge of all the earth will do right.That is succinct and simple yet, profound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back