"Expositions of Holy Scripture"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I can't believe it! After several years of searching, I stumbled across, quite by accident, a complete set of the above set by Alexander Maclaren. A 1932 reprint by Eerdmans, and all 17 volumes (33-volumes-in-17) in good shape. And: not only did they have this set, they had another complete set in the store (Archives Bookshop in Pasadena, California). This second set is a Baker reprint from 1974. LOL. It's either feast or famine.

I took the Eerdmans set. It was worth $100, but it was worth it, considering how rare complete sets are. Biola University's library has 3 sets - none of them complete.

The Baker set is still in the store, in case anyone is interested. That one goes for $100, also. It's also in good condition (some underlining).

I can't believe it! After several years of searching, I stumbled across, quite by accident, a complete set of the above set by Alexander Maclaren. A 1932 reprint by Eerdmans, and all 17 volumes (33-volumes-in-17) in good shape. And: not only did they have this set, they had another complete set in the store (Archives Bookshop in Pasadena, California). This second set is a Baker reprint from 1974. LOL. It's either feast or famine.

I took the Eerdmans set. It was worth $100, but it was worth it, considering how rare complete sets are. Biola University's library has 3 sets - none of them complete.

The Baker set is still in the store, in case anyone is interested. That one goes for $100, also. It's also in good condition (some underlining).

How is Maclaren, can you compare him with snother expositer ? Is he more technical or devotionel ? Any information, would be helpful!

How is Maclaren, can you compare him with snother expositer ? Is he more technical or devotionel ? Any information, would be helpful!

Maclaren is devotional. He was a pastor in Manchester, I think. He was a contemporary of Spurgeon. When the Downgrade controversy took place, Maclaren did not join with Spurgeon to fight the spirit of the day. That being said, Maclaren's work is conservative and I believe one can benefit from it.

However, he's no Spurgeon!

Maclaren (1826-1910) is devotional, but devotional in the best sense: not treacly and sentimental. His expositions have theological meat on their bones, and he usually has many thoughtful comments and powerful word images in his sermons (and excerpts from same). The Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology says that his sermons are still admired today for the honesty and integrity of his expositions. In his day, Maclaren was second only to Spurgeon in sales of weekly printed sermons. He and Spurgeon were good friends, too. As with Spurgeon, Maclaren makes excellent devotional reading. I recommend him!

Maclaren is devotional. He was a pastor in Manchester, I think. He was a contemporary of Spurgeon. When the Downgrade controversy took place, Maclaren did not join with Spurgeon to fight the spirit of the day. That being said, Maclaren's work is conservative and I believe one can benefit from it.

However, he's no Spurgeon!

Yes, Maclaren pastored Portland Baptist Chapel in Southampton, England (1846-1858) and Union Baptist Chapel in Manchester, England (1858-1903), for a total of 57 consecutive years of pastoral ministry (from the ages of 20 to 77).

Yes, Maclaren pastored Portland Baptist Chapel in Southampton, England (1846-1858) and Union Baptist Chapel in Manchester, England (1858-1903), for a total of 57 consecutive years of pastoral ministry (from the ages of 20 to 77).

Isn't that something?! It was indeed a remarkable, fruitful ministry for God. I pray that God will give me some length of ministry at the church I pastor now. If the LORD wills I believe I could have as many as 20 to 25 years left of ministry and I pray I spend them all at Maranatha.

I'm no Spurgeon or Maclaren, but I'm faithful and steady.

I love being a pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back