Expositions of the Heidelberg Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Sophomore
I’ve seen a couple of threads in the past about commentaries and expositions on the Heidelberg, and have heard great things about the Dutchmen VanderGroe and Vanderkemp, in addition to Ursinus’ commentary.

Has anyone had experience with these two, VanderGroe and VanderKemp?
If so how do they differ? Would you recommend one over the other?
Any other recommendations are also welcome!

Has anyone had experience with these two, VanderGroe and VanderKemp?

I am currently reading Theodorus VanderGroe's exposition. It is pretty good, though I am not sure how it compares with VanderKemp's work. Zacharias Ursinus is, of course, the go-to source for understanding the original intent of the Heidelberg Catechism. Some later expositions tend to tell you more about the author than the subject.

I have VanderGroe's work. I find it very helpful. I have not compared it to other works on the HC but the reviews of VanderGroe's commentary are very good.

Being from a Three Forms of Unity church, I can tell you that the range of expositions on the Heidelberg Catechism is VAST. Books of sermons on the Catechism have been plentiful, especially in Dutch, but also increasingly in English.

Have you read any of the Triple Knowledge series by Herman Hoeksema? I would appreciate learning your thoughts on it.

Have you read any of the Triple Knowledge series by Herman Hoeksema? I would appreciate learning your thoughts on it.
I'm aware of it (and have been for a long time), but I've never read it. I just have such a wealth of other resources that I haven't bothered with Hoeksema. It doesn't help that, historically, Hoeksema and some of his Protestant Reformed disciples have been rather critical of my ecclesiastical background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back