Expositor Commentary Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are actually pretty good, although each one is written by a different person so they tend to be inconsistent in their theology. Some of them are quite good, Matthew is written by D.A. Carson, Galatians is by James M. Boice. Others are not quite as good, but all of them always present all sides of the argument before giving a conclusion. Overall a pretty good set for the price.

It is a good series. It has been updated and revised by Zondervan. Some of the new series is revised versions of the older commentaries, and some of them are new contributions. It is generally a good series, and some of them are truly excellent, like Youngblood on Samuel, Van Genderen on Psalms, Carson on Matthew, etc.

So worth the 125 bucks Logos is offering it right now?

You might want to wait on it and see what they might offer for the revised set when it is complete (only one more volume to go). I know that Carson's volume on Matthew, for instance, underwent fairly substantial revisions in the light of all the literature that has been published on Matthew between 1st and 2nd editions.

They are actually pretty good, although each one is written by a different person so they tend to be inconsistent in their theology. Some of them are quite good, Matthew is written by D.A. Carson, Galatians is by James M. Boice. Others are not quite as good, but all of them always present all sides of the argument before giving a conclusion. Overall a pretty good set for the price.

My experience with James M. Boice's commentaries has been a replication of his expository sermons, not to be considered even an intermediate level.

Is this the same for this series?

My experience with James M. Boice's commentaries has been a replication of his expository sermons, not to be considered even an intermediate level.

That might depend on your definition of intermediate and your scale of reckoning! This commentary on Galatians is NOT just his sermons. Also, in the revised version, his commentary was replaced by another contributor.

That might depend on your definition of intermediate and your scale of reckoning! This commentary on Galatians is NOT just his sermons. Also, in the revised version, his commentary was replaced by another contributor.

From an unlettered but very thirsty knowledge-driven mind, his 5 volumes on John weren't quite up to making me stretch too much. It felt like a waste of $$$. I would call inter-to-advanced the work on that gospel from Keener, Morris, and Samuel Michaels (or is it Michael Samuels) more of what I was hoping for.

As always, thanks Lane!!

I would say that is probably correct, this is not really an advanced level commentary. More like intermediate. They do get into the original languages a bit, but they have commented on the entire bible in only 12 volumes so it doesn't get super deep. I mainly purchased this set because it is one of the few newer commentaries that includes the Old Testament. We have so many good contemporary commentaries on the New Testamanent, but precious few on the Old. Overall a good set, but definitely not advanced level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back