Extending the Lord's Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Carolinian

Puritan Board Freshman
After celebrating the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, do any of you "extend the Table" to those members who are homebound or in a nursing home? How is this done? Or should it not be done (would this be considered a "private communion")? What if a nursing home is an hour and a half drive away and you do not plan to make such a trip on Sunday? Do you wait until Monday?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

Last edited:
WCF 29.4 - Private masses, or receiving this sacrament by a priest, or any other alone; as likewise, the denial of the cup to the people, worshipping the elements, the lifting them up, or carrying them about, for adoration, and the reserving them for any pretended religious use; are all contrary to the nature of this sacrament, and to the institution of Christ.

Dear Pastor Barnes,

Would you see this extending the Lord's Supper to the homebound or those members in nursing homes as private communion based upon WCF 29.4?

Last edited:
Dear Pastor Barnes,

Would you see this extending the Lord's Supper to the homebound or those in members in nursing homes as private communion based upon WCF 29.4?

Yes, unless for instance you held a worship service in the persons home (who would need to be a member of your congregation). Nursing home, I'd advise completely against, the session would need to examine everyone and they'd have to be members of the Church, etc. In both situations, you'd have to guard against superstitions in partaking of the sacrament.

Thomas Murphy is helpful on this point:
When members of the church are, for a length of time, deprived of the privilege of attending upon the public ordinances through the infirmities of age or sickness, it is well to celebrate the Lord's Supper with them occasionally at their homes. The pastor, with an elder or elders and a few other Christian friends, can join the services and form a little congregation with which the Master will undoubtedly meet. Such seasons are very precious. They are a great comfort to those for whose benefit they are especially held, feeble perhaps in body, but strong in faith.

What Murphy describes here is not a private observance. It is a worship service convened in the home of the invalid.

Tenants of nursing homes were mentioned in the OP--a minister ought to be careful not to give the sacrament to any who are not sound in mind and who lack the ability to eat and drink with discernment. That's not to say that the elderly may not partake; but any whose minds are not capable of performing the duty shouldn't be given the sacrament.

Last edited:
The reformed position that the Lord's supper is offered in the context of worship means those gathered receive a rich feast including, prayer, the word read and preached, and praise offered to God. Bringing people from the congregation to a sickside bed recognizes the weakened brother's place in the congregation and would be a blessed encouragement to the family which carries a tremendous burden in this situation.

It appears that there is some disagreement among brethren of the conservative, Reformed position. I do hear the caution from the Westminster Confession of Faith 29.4, and I see where The Five Articles of Perth (http://www.scottish-places.info/events/eventfirst5.html) were imposed by the Church of England upon the Church of Scotland in 1618. I appreciate the words of Dr. Thomas Murphy in his Pastoral Theology. Jean Withnell's comments are well-stated. I want to do what is faithful to Scripture and to the Reformed faith, as well as minister to the spiritual needs of the saints who are not physically able to attend worship at the regular meeting place of the church. It sounds as though "extending the Lord's Table" may be appropriate if accompanied by a worship service, including the ministry of the Word, singing a psalm, prayer, and partaking of the elements together (with other brethren present).

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me on this matter! Please continue to comment as you would like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back