Ezek 3:18-19/ 33:8-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJClark

Puritan Board Doctor
Wouldn't these verses mean we should *all* be ready to share the Gospel with others.

To me, it seems like a pretty serious consequence geared towards believers for not sharing the Gospel Message with everyone a charge for evangelism..

Ezek 3:18-19
"If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for* his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

"But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

Ezek 33:8-9

"If I say to the wicked, O wicked one, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked person shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

"But if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, that person shall die in his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

Bobbi:

These are covenant documents intended for the house of Israel (both contexts demonstrate this) not the nations, per se. And they are given to the authorized representative/spokesman of God ("the word of God came to me"), Ezekiel, to speak not the people.

Thus I do not see that they directly apply to the life of the congregant who has not been given the gift of ministry. But woe to those who neglect this gift! (cf. 1 Timothy 4:14)

BUT, by way of application to the people I would say: listen and heed the warning!

The context is important to note. Ezek. 3:17, "Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning." Ezek. 33:7, "So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me." The context of Paul's protestation of innocence in Acts 20:25-27 is also important. It was given to the Ephesian presbytery, Acts 20:17, and is followed by a charge laid on them to take heed to themselves and to all the flock over which the Holy Ghost had made them overseers, vv. 28ff. Further, Timothy is solemnly charged to preach the Word, 2 Tim. 4:1, 2; but it is in the context of a letter which has reminded him that he must stir up the gift of God which was in him by the putting on of Paul's apostolic hands. In each and every instance the threat of guilt concerns an individual who has been given the responsibility of caring for souls committed to his oversight and of exercising a gift of ministry committed to his trust.

So even in this could it be seen as charge to parents as well, re: their children?

A HUGE responsibility before God, to know His word and what and how to teach them..

No not really. There are other texts in scripture that are more relevant to that end: Proverbs 22:6; Ephesians 6:1ff. etc.

Again, the text(s) in question reference the responsibility of an individual to fulfill his calling, namely to bring a warnings(s) to God's covenant people.

So even in this could it be seen as charge to parents as well, re: their children?

A HUGE responsibility before God, to know His word and what and how to teach them..

I think it applies by analogy, but not literally. Parents bear the responsibility to bring up their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and they are chargeable for that. The same analogy would apply with the exhortations given to all Christians to let their light shine before men and to be always ready to give an answer for the hope that is in them. They are therefore responsible for the witness their personal lives give to the gospel. Hence they should be careful to maintain what the Puritans would call a "gospel conversation," reflecting the language of Phil. 1:27. But the responsibility to preach the gospel lies on those who have been set apart to do so. Those who are teachers will receive the greater judgment, James 3:1.

Thank you...

I know when I've read this before, which is also why I asked now, because I've always taken to be apply to all Christians, as the Holy Spirit indwells us each individually, as well as collectively...but then I take most Scriptures that way, as applying to the entire body, and not just certain people within the Body.

exhorting Christians as a whole taking care of what we share with others concerning God's Word in both our lives and our words, and that IF God places it on our heart to share the Gospel with someone, don't let the opportunity pass, because you don't know if that persons life or your own life will be taken away by God when you walk away.

But I can see how it would apply more to pastors/teachers more who are watchmen over the flock God has placed in their Charge on His behalf..some very sobering verses for Pastors/Teachers/Elders and the like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back