Ezekiel 18:20

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChristian

Puritan Board Freshman
As we know Scripture teaches that the fall of Adam effected man as well as Creation. Yet there are some that appeal to Ezekiel 18:20 as proof against the concept. From my reading of the text this does not have anything to do with the issue, but it is addressed to Israel and life in the land of Cannan cf Ezekiel 18:2; 33:24-29 and Deuteronomy 28. I would like to know anyone's thoughts.

Christopher, the typical Reformed answer to this type of question is simply to note that Ezekiel 18 is not talking about Adam's federal headship, but rather alleged inter-generational guilt. Can one generation blame another generation for the Exile? Ezekiel 18 has to be read in its context.

Christopher, the typical Reformed answer to this type of question is simply to note that Ezekiel 18 is not talking about Adam's federal headship, but rather alleged inter-generational guilt. Can one generation blame another generation for the Exile? Ezekiel 18 has to be read in its context.
I would agree this passage has to do with the exile and Israel living in the land. I just find it interesting that people even use this passage to try and refute the doctrine of man's fallenness.

I would agree this passage has to do with the exile and Israel living in the land. I just find it interesting that people even use this passage to try and refute the doctrine of man's fallenness.
Yeah, they try to make this passage do duty against Romans 3 and 5. But that only proves the faultiness of their methodology. Setting Scripture against Scripture like that is always the sign of the heretic.

Yeah, they try to make this passage do duty against Romans 3 and 5. But that only proves the faultiness of their methodology. Setting Scripture against Scripture like that is always the sign of the heretic.
Yeah I always call that versism, taking one verse and interpreting every other verse by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back