Facebook having issues, or is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Today when I checked facebook I got zero - nothing. No news feed, no profile page, no nothing. I can click on my notifications tab and get notifications - and I can do the same with friend requests. But I see nothing at all when I try to look at anyone's profile from links in my friend requests or notifications.

Is there some kind of facebook-profile issue that may have happened? Everything else, all internet sites, everything, seems just fine - it's only facebook, and it's not just from one computer that I see this. I'm finding a blank profile page for myself and everyone else whether I'm using my Windows laptop or my Linux research machines at my lab.

?

Strange that it occurred in both computers of different types using different browsers (google chrome on the laptop, firefox on the Linux box) but clearing the cache from the last day did the trick. If anyone has any insight as to what might have gone kablooey, i'm all ears.

Completely speculative hunch: Either it was a DNS issue with a local server or Facebook has some clever feature that, upon recognizing your computer from a previous log-in, does some sort of process that got hung up. Clearing the cache might have interrupted that process and caused it to reset. I'm guessing that because it may have put the same cookie on both computers.

BTW, I had a similar problem with the PB a number of months ago. Three different computers couldn't get in, but could see other sites without trouble. When I took my laptop to a WIFI a few blocks away, I could log on just fine. That turned out to be a DNS problem with our local provider.

Good point Vic. OpenDNS is a good option when your local ISP does a crummy job of configuring their DNS servers. I used it in Okinawa all the time.

Completely speculative hunch: Either it was a DNS issue with a local server or Facebook has some clever feature that, upon recognizing your computer from a previous log-in, does some sort of process that got hung up. Clearing the cache might have interrupted that process and caused it to reset. I'm guessing that because it may have put the same cookie on both computers.

BTW, I had a similar problem with the PB a number of months ago. Three different computers couldn't get in, but could see other sites without trouble. When I took my laptop to a WIFI a few blocks away, I could log on just fine. That turned out to be a DNS problem with our local provider.

This would seem somewhat hard to believe given that the issue occured with one laptop both at home and at work, and the linux workstation at work also. Our networking comes through completely different sources. Anyway, problem is solved so that's all I'm worried about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back