Fairbairn On the Life of the Minister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Patrick Fairbairn's work on Pastoral Theology, is in my opinion, the best book on the duties and callings of the Pastoral Office. It is unfortunately out-of-print, but you can find it on Google Books. I have began a practice of re-reading it twice yearly and wanted to share this quote:

"[Baxter] therefore justly notes it as a palpable inconsistence and grievous mistake in those Ministers who study hard to preach exactly, but study little, or not at all, to live exactly; who spend most of the week studying how to preach two hours, and scarcely spend an hour studying how to live all the week. Such conduct in the case of a popular preacher once met with a just reproof from a blunt English farmer, in the cutting remark, 'Sir, you light a bright candle on Sundays, and put it out all the week.'" -- Patrick Fairbairn, "Pastoral Theology", pg. 85-86

Old Paths Publications reprinted it but I'm not sure if it is still available. I concur in the recommendation for the work.

Fairbairn

My brother-in-law is the owner/publisher of Old Paths. I have a copy of that book and I agree, it is excellent. I can ask my brother-in-law if he has any more copies if anyone is interested.

Talked to my brother-in-law who is the publisher at Old Paths and he said he is completely out of the Fairbairn book. Sorry to all that were interested. He told me it is out of print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back