Faith Like Potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
I know there was a thread about this movie the other day, but I can't find it. Last night my wife and I watched it. Very good movie! It was refreshing to see a movie that exalts the Lord, shows his sovereignty and is well done. No, it is not a Hollywood production value style movie, but it is very good. The name of the Lord is never slandered. There is no foul language; there are a few dangs and hecks, but no foul cursing. It is a vivid picture of the grace of God bursting through in a man's life. It is not a theologically detailed movie, and is not intended to be. It is the story of one man and his family as they struggle and experience the grace of God from his perspective.

I think you will enjoy it.

As a South African myself, I cannot recommend this movie, the movie has a claim of raising a person from the dead and is strongly influenced by Word of Faith doctrine. Currently there are a lot of concerns going up regarding the person the movie is about, Angus Buchun as it is becoming more apparent that his ministry is based on signs and wonders with a lot of revival preaching. I would like to place a link to an article if you are interested, it is a bit long, but puts things into perspective.

Untitled Document

Phil, thanks for the input. It is true that there is a scene in which a woman who is injured is raised. The locals say she is dead, but it is not confirmed. As I said, it is not a theologically detailed movie. I found it an encouraging and refreshing movie. I can overlook loose theology in movies if they are trying to teach, and I didn't see that in the movie. Sure, there are altar call scenes and such. I can see a lot less harm in watching this movie than in a move such as the Matrix, the Harry Potter movies, and many others that an awful lot of Christians watch.

Lawrence

I do understand that it will be better to watch a movie like this rather than Harry Potter, but I also need to just remind you that this movie is a biography of 'n real person, Angus Buchan and that he does claim raising that woman from the dead in his real life ministry.

A ministry that is largely based on signs and wonders, that would be my problem, not the movie, but the person behind the movie, the person who the movie is about and his ministry.

God bless
Phil

I have not seen this movie, so I cannot comment on it. But I wanted to say that I think a movie with bad, but supposedly true, theology could be worse than a Harry Potter movie.

I have not seen this movie, so I cannot comment on it. But I wanted to say that I think a movie with bad, but supposedly true, theology could be worse than a Harry Potter movie.

I do agree with this, I really can't stand false teachings and will never give my support to it, not in a movie, not in a book, not from a pulpit.

This movie is nice and motivational, but the gospel is not preached in it. If you were an evangelist and someone was making a movie of your live, would you not want to have what is supposed to be the most important thing to you in that movie, the gospel of Jesus Christ?

Slightly :offtopic: but since we are talking about movies that honor and promote the gospel of Jesus Christ, You might want to check out the independent films of the SAICFF. The San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival is held by The Vision Forum. I have seen many of these films and they are wonderful. You can buy them from Vision Forum on DVD or download them on Behemoth. We love them! We actually rented some from Netflix.

San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival - SAICFF

Slightly OT, but my wife & I rented "Fireproof" and didn't hate it.

Pleasantly surprised, actually. For a low-budget indy Christian film, it was OK.

Slightly OT, but my wife & I rented "Fireproof" and didn't hate it.

Pleasantly surprised, actually. For a low-budget indy Christian film, it was OK.

I want to see that one! I don't expect much, so I think I'll like it!
I really respect Kirk Cameron for having his wife stand in for the actress during kissing scenes!

This movie is nice and motivational, but the gospel is not preached in it. If you were an evangelist and someone was making a movie of your live, would you not want to have what is supposed to be the most important thing to you in that movie, the gospel of Jesus Christ?

A ministry that is largely based on signs and wonders, that would be my problem, not the movie, but the person behind the movie, the person who the movie is about and his ministry.

God bless
Phil

I just watched the film last night as well. I had never heard of Angus Buchan before the movie, so I don't know anything about him......but, I'd have to agree with Phil, it certainly did seem to me that his faith was largely based on signs and wonders. His preaching was mainly about his experiences rather than Scripture itself. And, there was no clear message of the gospel....which I also think if it was based on his faith, the gospel would have been most God-glorifying!

Some of the things that I did like.....
Personally, I liked the fact that it was set in Africa.....it reminded me of my time there, and I really enjoyed the film because of that! One of the other things I liked, was that it did show a transformation in his life. In the beginning, he was quite angry and violent most of the time....but after he became a believer, you could see that his heart had changed. Also, during an altar call (which I'm not fond of altar calls) I liked the fact that not only did he go up, but he took his entire family with him. He later said in the film, that he gave his life and his entire family's life to Jesus. It was neat to see his role as the head in that repect! I think if you filter out some of the other things it would be a worthwhile film to watch. Just my :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back