Family Guy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieP

Puritan Board Senior
I have seen a trend lately of professing Christians noting that they like "Family Guy." From my understanding, it mocks the Christian faith and is the epitome of coarse jesting. Is this a correct understanding of the show? From what I've heard, it went off the air because even non-Christians thought it was too over the edge. Am I wrong? If I'm not, why is it such an appeal to professing Christians lately, particularly the teen and college crowd?

I have only seen about 2 episodes, as I am not much of a TV watcher. However, the main plot "gimmick" is matricide, the little toddler repeatedly and intentionally attempts to kill his mother.

Like The Simpsons, it's somewhat of an equal-opportunity mocker, but yes, your summary is pretty accurate. We turned off our satellite when Grace was born; I didn't realize it was off the air because Hulu keeps promoting it.

I will admit I used to watch it several years ago until my conscience wouldn't let me any longer. I have since repented. Yes, it's a blasphemous show indeed. I can remember episodes with a character supposed to be Christ and he would do all manner of stupid, blasphemous things. There is absolutely no excuse for a Christian to watch this show.

For what it's worth, the show's creator/executive producer/star, Seth MacFarlane, is an outspoken atheist and supporter of gay 'marriage'.

I too have repented of watching this show. It is a very funny show, but I found that the Lord gave me a conscience that was far more sensitive than my funny bone, and I praise Him for it. Let us all turn away from blasphemy in the media, arts, and show business.

For what it's worth, the show's creator/executive producer/star, Seth MacFarlane, is an outspoken atheist and supporter of gay 'marriage'.

So?

The first few seasons were hilarious, and then it was cancelled. It was brought back about 5 years ago and hasn't been the same since. I don't watch anywhere near as often as I once did -- not because I'm convicted that it's a sin, but because it's just not funny anymore. They're trying too hard (and yes, part of that "trying too hard" is the over-the-top attempts at offense). But, I won't rebuke a professing Christian for enjoying it. Not my place, nor do I think it's anyone's here.

So?

The first few seasons were hilarious, and then it was cancelled. It was brought back about 5 years ago and hasn't been the same since. I don't watch anywhere near as often as I once did -- not because I'm convicted that it's a sin, but because it's just not funny anymore. They're trying too hard (and yes, part of that "trying too hard" is the over-the-top attempts at offense). But, I won't rebuke a professing Christian for enjoying it. Not my place, nor do I think it's anyone's here.

#amensomebody

Blasphemous rubbish. Unfunny.

They no doubt got the idea for the show from the Simpsons, so no originality there.

At least the Simpsons used to be funny, but they also sometimes had blasphemy.

Used to watch it all the time. The think that made me stop watching it was the episode when Meg becomes a "Christian religious freak" because of Kirk Cameron and Brian is outed as an atheist and is persecuted for it. Brian than convinces Meg that there is no God by saying that how could there be a God when she was so ugly and why aren't there pictures from the hubble telescope of a guy sitting on a throne. Looking back, both arguements are illogical seeing as they do not present the God of the Bible but rather the god of Michelangelo paintings.

Coming from a younger perspective, it was very "in" to like Family guy. I remember a few years ago how nearly ALL of my professing "Christian" friends my age watched it without remorse and promoted it. I tried watching it to see what it was all about... but it was ridiculously inappropriate and my sensitivity to such vulgarity and sinful behaviors turned me off to it. From a female perspective, I noticed a lot of young ladies my age would watch it so the guys would think they we're "cool" (for lack of a better way to describe it). I have even heard some of my friends claim that they watch such shows(more than family guy) for "fellowship" purposes. For example: I asked a strong Christian friend of mine point blank why she would watch such a show, her reply was along the lines of it was to "minister" to her non-believing and "weaker" brothers and sisters to show she wanted to spend time with them, and she wasn't "legalistic". I was shocked. It was compromise under a guise of "ministry". I think, too, it is a lack of understanding, a lack of reverence (this is VERY prominent among a lot of my friends my age); due to youth groups/college groups, companions of fools, and not being exposed to mature believers... they simply do not have a solid understanding of how Holy God is.

I may step on toes but the recent "popular" and inappropriate shows I have heard about (and at least been exposed to) is Southpark and The Office. I do not understand the appeal as a believer.

Moreover, I do not see how we can draw entertainment from such a sinful world or how one can find pleasure in such impure, crude, and sinfully passionate worldliness? I would have to respectfully disagree that it is "ok" to watch such shows (namely family guy to stay on topic). The more we are immersed in ungodliness the less we are actively striving for purity, holiness, uprightness, to be blameless, to be as lights in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. This, to me, is a tragedy... how can we be lights to such a perverse generation if we ourselves are just as preoccupied with what the world is preoccupied with?

Thanks for your reply, Leah! Praise God for the discernment God has given you....I will pray for you and your friends!

The question that always cuts me to the core (no matter to what I'm doing/watching/listening) is, "how does Christ's obedience, death, and resurrection inform what I am currently engaging in".

But, I won't rebuke a professing Christian for enjoying it. Not my place, nor do I think it's anyone's here.

Isn't there a place for a tactful, loving, and kind rebuke from a fellow Christian, appropriate for the particular circumstance? Especially from an elder such as yourself? I have greatly appreciated those who have provided caution to me regarding various media that I might attend to (iron sharpens iron; Prov. 27:17, etc).

I may step on toes but the recent "popular" and inappropriate shows I have heard about (and at least been exposed to) is Southpark and The Office. I do not understand the appeal as a believer

I actually do watch The Office with discernment, there have been pro-christian episodes, for instance Micheal got more love from a church youth group going to Mexico than he did from anybody he worked with. Other times the theme is sinful so sometimes I stop watching mid-episode. However, I perhaps should be more careful in what I watch, and that includes The Office.

But, I won't rebuke a professing Christian for enjoying it. Not my place, nor do I think it's anyone's here.

Isn't there a place for a tactful, loving, and kind rebuke from a fellow Christian, appropriate for the particular circumstance? Especially from an elder such as yourself? I have greatly appreciated those who have provided caution to me regarding various media that I might attend to (iron sharpens iron; Prov. 27:17, etc).

Of course, Tim. What bothers me are unequivocal declarations that no Christian has any business (insert activity that falls within Christian liberty here).

The show is written by a guy who is pushing the threshold to try to capture more viewers. It's more shock jock cartoons. If someone who doesn't worship God writes a TV script, movie, play or song, I doubt we should expect stuff that is pleasing to us, or God.

I look at viewing FG this way: It's like eating mud pies. You might taste it to see what it's like, but I doubt you will make a steady diet of it, if your taste buds are working right.

Last edited:

Of course, Tim. What bothers me are unequivocal declarations that no Christian has any business (insert activity that falls within Christian liberty here).

Has it been proven to be an issue of Christian liberty?

"But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting[/B], which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks"- Eph. 5:3-4

Family Guy appears to me to fit into the filthy, foolish (ie godless) talking, and coarse jesting category. Why would we be entertained by something that will cause the wrath of God to come upon the sons of disobedience (v.6)? "Therefore do not be partakers with them" (v.7)

I actually do watch The Office with discernment, there have been pro-christian episodes, for instance Micheal got more love from a church youth group going to Mexico than he did from anybody he worked with. Other times the theme is sinful so sometimes I stop watching mid-episode. However, I perhaps should be more careful in what I watch, and that includes The Office.

I see. I used to do that in a similar sense, as well. So I do know what you are saying! I have found that the more I allow the allures of the world (common tv shows, music, movies, books, youtube videos) to draw me in, the less time I have to delight myself in the Lord (and the more I delight in Him, the more I find my desires are in reality His desires). Psalm 37:4 "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." I am not saying it is wrong to find simple pleasure in different things in this world, but it is different when the form of entertainment is somewhat vulgar and known for it. If I do not hate what is evil then how can I love what God declares as good?

I do not mean to be patronizing at all. For it is with the utmost sense of urgency I am aware of how much I lack... so I am thrown into more zealous studying of God's word with my time, time in prayer, and seeking His wisdom instead of the world's passing trends. I know I am no where near where I ought to be in my knowledge nor in my faith... so it is extremely convicting to sit and use my time on myself being filled with "worldliness" when God sits upon the throne worthy of being glorified through my life.

(insert activity that falls within Christian liberty here).

Just curious, but how do you define "Christian Liberty"?

Sure. It's the freedom that we have in Christ to make judgment calls regarding what we do or do not partake in, if it's not clearly delineated in Scripture as sinful. I look see this in Romans 14, among other places. I personally have a difficult time saying (or deducing from Scripture) that watching a show that contains some off-color humor as sinful.

That's certainly not to say that everyone should partake (just as some should not partake in, say, alcohol), but I can't tell EVERY Christian that they're sinning for doing so (just like with alcohol).

"But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting[/B], which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks"- Eph. 5:3-4

Family Guy appears to me to fit into the filthy, foolish (ie godless) talking, and coarse jesting category. Why would we be entertained by something that will cause the wrath of God to come upon the sons of disobedience (v.6)? "Therefore do not be partakers with them" (v.7)

I guess I'm not there yet, at least not with the majority of the show. Yes, there's some stuff that we should consider blasphemous, but it's a broad brush to paint an entire series with. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

There is no good reason to watch Family Guy, in my opinion. The show is witty and full of satire (actually, the basic theme of the show, which gives it its appeal), but crosses the line far too often in an attempt to be edgy. Shots are taken at Christians and even the Lord Himself. Not kidding.

The show also has quite a bit of "humor" directed at mentally-challenged and physically-handicapped folks. If you think that's funny.

"But wait a minute, it's all done in a light-hearted and charitable way! You need to lighten up! It's just a joke!"

Blasphemy is never funny, even if it's meant to be a joke. Making fun of mentally-challenged and physically-handicapped people is never funny, even if it's meant to be a joke.

Why can't we find a show that is witty and satirical and not blasphemous? I'm all for it in that case.

My roommate in college loved the show.

(insert activity that falls within Christian liberty here).

Just curious, but how do you define "Christian Liberty"?

Sure. It's the freedom that we have in Christ to make judgment calls regarding what we do or do not partake in, if it's not clearly delineated in Scripture as sinful. I look see this in Romans 14, among other places. I personally have a difficult time saying (or deducing from Scripture) that watching a show that contains some off-color humor as sinful.

That's certainly not to say that everyone should partake (just as some should not partake in, say, alcohol), but I can't tell EVERY Christian that they're sinning for doing so (just like with alcohol).

I guess I'm not there yet, at least not with the majority of the show. Yes, there's some stuff that we should consider blasphemous, but it's a broad brush to paint an entire series with. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

Rae, I don't know how familiar you are with this show, but this isn't just an issue of some "off-color humor". I could see your point if that were the case. But this show features, no glorifies, rank blasphemy. You seem to admit this, so I don’t understand what you mean when you say there are instances of blasphemy, but the series isn’t blasphemous. Violations of the 2nd and 3rd commandment are always sin (the show regularly violates these with their supposed “Jesus” character), not an issue of Christian liberty.

Some people will watch anything whilst others do not engage in any leisure activity which they cannot prove is actively glorifying God, but most of us are somewhere in between. Hopefully God is moving us from the former towards the latter. So I'd say some people have been purged of the FG addiction whereas others have not reached that point yet :) Some people might find Family Guy to be light entertainment for a while after they have stopped watching South Park, say.

I have seen a trend lately of professing Christians noting that they like "Family Guy." From my understanding, it mocks the Christian faith and is the epitome of coarse jesting. Is this a correct understanding of the show? From what I've heard, it went off the air because even non-Christians thought it was too over the edge. Am I wrong? If I'm not, why is it such an appeal to professing Christians lately, particularly the teen and college crowd?

One could just as well ask why MMA appeals to many of the same folks and why some who should know better insist that Jesus was a "party animal," etc.

I admit to have watched and laughed at South Park's Mormon episode.

I also watched Battlestar Galatica series and noted all the Mormon undertones which were later verified by others, given the background of the series' producer, Glen Larson, a Mormon.

AMR

(Eph 5:8) For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

(Eph 5:9) (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

(Eph 5:10) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

(Eph 5:11) And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

(Eph 5:12) For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

(Eph 5:13) But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

(Eph 5:14) Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

(Eph 5:15) See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

(Eph 5:16) Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

(Eph 5:17) Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Yes, I have seen it. It is a sad spectacle. I have made myself and my kids turn it off. Kids have come over to my house and turned it on. After it presented itself all I had to do was say how messed up it was and shouldn't they fill their minds with better stuff. It got turned off. Sin is not something we have liberty with. This sitcom promotes the violation of all ten commandments and more that can't be named. The view of Christ is very Arian also. There is nothing divine nor anything worth watching in it. It is a brain dead persons life that loves this kind of stuff and grants liberty here. We don't have liberty to partake in sin.

Last edited:
The character, religion, and sexual persuasion of the writer is ad hominem and irrelevant. If we were to avoid the work of every unbeliever, we wouldn't be reading, watching, listening to, or interacting with very much at all, would we?

That said, the show is extremely coarse and the comedy is offensive, much of the time. It's certainly on the far end of the spectrum, but differs only in degree from everything else that Hollywood has to offer. I don't see a rational or scriptural method for condemning Family Guy while justifying Friends or The Office. How many instances of blasphemy will one permit until the show/movie is deemed anathema?

Those who think it should be avoided should avoid it. But it can't be a sin in and of itself. If you've ever watched the documentary "Not yet rated", it reveals that many of those who sit on anonymous rating boards for television and movies are Christians. These Christians watch movies and television for a living and place ratings on them, thereby restricting its promotion and distribution to younger audience. While America hates this kind of censorship (as the documentary also reveals), thank God for Christians like these who are engaged in the matters of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back