Family travel solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Hi all -

Okay, so we don't have a HUGE family, but we're at the magic cutoff number of six, as far as hotels go. They don't seem to like to put all six of us in a hotel room, unless it's a "suite" (or what passes for one these days).

What do y'all do, when making reservations online? Do you consign yourself to paying the through-the-roof suite rates, or do you get a two-queen bed room & pack everyone in, or?

Doing a little travelling this summer and we'll be needing some hotel rooms en route. Let me know what solutions you've come up with for hotels.

(and if suites is the route, can you tell me something better than orbitz or expedia for "suite-searching"?)

Thanks in advance...

Well, our kids are a little older and many times they have slept on the floor..

or we've gotten two adjoining rooms which is actually lower in price than a suite, then leave the door that adjoins the rooms open..

Oh, and I don't make reservations online..I've checked prices online and then called the 800 number for the hotel and made them directly, or we just stop at whatever hotel..some have actually lowered their prices when I've said.."I was looking at your prices on XYZ website..and I was wondering if you have any specials going on that can meet or beat that price." If they do, then I make my reservations directly through them.

Oh yeah, have you considered doing some camping? Maybe get a tent and some sleeping bags and stop at a KOA or something..

Well, our kids are a little older and many times they have slept on the floor..

or we've gotten two adjoining rooms which is actually lower in price than a suite, then leave the door that adjoins the rooms open..

Oh, and I don't make reservations online..I've checked prices online and then called the 800 number for the hotel and made them directly, or we just stop at whatever hotel..some have actually lowered their prices when I've said.."I was looking at your prices on XYZ website..and I was wondering if you have any specials going on that can meet or beat that price." If they do, then I make my reservations directly through them.

Oh yeah, have you considered doing some camping? Maybe get a tent and some sleeping bags and stop at a KOA or something..

Later on we'll camp, most certainly... but not this time round - our kids are 7,5,2.5 and 6 months, and I'm not sure that Naomi's first cross-country adventure needs to be her first camping outing too.. ;)

My wife is the oldest of 8 . . when they travelled, I think her parents took turns driving so they wouldn't have to spend the night anywhere until they got to their destination. Ouch.

There are 11 of us going to Philadelphia for the PCRT conference in a few weeks - 6 adults and 5 children, 7 and under. We're staying at a Marriot Residence Inn and have reserved a single suite and a double suite. The double suite is comprised of two queen bedrooms, two baths, a sitting area and a fully equipped kitchen. The cut-off is six for the double suite but they didn't bat an eyelash when dh told the reservation clerk that the 7th member of that group is a baby. They seem to be very accomodating and had no problem with putting a crib in both suites. We're looking forward to being able to congregate in the sitting area of the larger suite and fellowshipping for a while each evening after the conference sessions are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back