Family use same translation during family worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Husband and wife, as well as brothers and sisters in the church, should always be growing in the unity of the faith. But, a common translation might be the most important matter at this particular time. Whether this is a hill upon which you need to die, only you can know. But, one wonders if a husband and wife cannot be united in such a small matter, how are they going to be united in larger matters.

Is it a small or big matter? :D And my wife and I tend to be quite different on small, trivial matters while we tend to agree (or work diligently to agree) on larger matters.

(definitely lurking this thread as the OP is our exact situation)

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I meant that a common translation might NOT be the most important matter at this time.

On a related note, I was reading Numbers today for family worship preparation and found something I need explained to me. I made a thread in the exegetical forum if any of you would like to check it out.

I say
-we need someone to explain the Bible to us anyway

Sounds pretty close to the historic Roman Catholic position.
I sure wouldn't think do. Having someone explain historic and linguistic context of scripture is pretty far from the Roman position that I'm familiar with, and seems pretty much in line with Confessional Protestantism.

What position is that?

Laymen couldn't be trusted to properly read and understand the scriptures. That was the role of the clergy. Or, as the CRI more artfully said, " Contrary to the dominant Roman Catholic idea which said that the Bible was difficult and obscure, Protestants said that anyone who is literate could comprehend the gospel and the Scriptures. " The Perspicuity of Scripture - Christian Research Institute

That historic Roman position can be contrasted with this:

" All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all: yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation are so clearly propounded, and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them."

Brethren,

My wife and I prefer different translations of the Bible - KJV for me and ESV for her. Since I trust the ESV I do not count this as a problem, except in practical matters. When we do our family worship, the differening translations cause a bit of a bump since following along with someone reading from a different translation can be somewhat distracting.

I would have her switch, but she is not an avid reader and is intimidated by the language of the KJV. So the question I face is whether to have her switch and go through the language barrier for the sake of being on the same page, as it were. Advice please?

Can she switch to the KJV? Can you switch to the ESV? Can both of you use a translation besides the KJV and ESV?

Use both if neither of you wants to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back