Family Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos

Puritan Board Freshman

Just found this. I have been listening to this same sermon for the last 4 days or so. What a gem! I have only recently started listening to Joel Beeke and I am hooked.

Glad you stumbled upon Dr. Beeke. Let me know if you need help finding more resources.
Thank you brother. Feel free to recommend anything by Dr. Beeke that you think is especially good. My wife and I are watching his sermons on The Book of Revelation right now. Also very good!

When Dr Beeke was speaking at a conference here in New Zealand a couple of years ago he took a few days with his wife to enjoy the Southern Alps in the South Island. Unfortunately he did not get to see our native bird - the Kiwi. If he had seen a Kiwi he would have discovered it has a very unique ... you guessed it..... Beeke :cool:
Kiwi revised.jpg

Yes, I agree, though I may have a bit of bias.
I have started reading ' A Radical, Comprehensive Call to Holiness '. From what I have read so far, it is one of the most spiritually edifying and helpful books I have read on the Christian life. I hope it is widely promoted. It is idea for both family worship and also as a solid instruction work on how to spiritually mature in the Christian life.

Does anyone have recommendations on a commentary that can be kept in the family room for use during family worship as Dr. Beeke outlines in the OP video?

Does anyone have recommendations on a commentary that can be kept in the family room for use during family worship as Dr. Beeke outlines in the OP video?
Yes, I can recommend a few things.

Prices are absurd for this set, but I would not be without it for family instruction: https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?title=Commentary the Holy&author=Matthew Poole&submit=Search&new_used=&currency=USD&binding=&destination=us&st=sr&ac=qr&lang=en

And long out of print is John Trapp's commentary, but it just so happens we are reprinting this valuable commentary on the Scripture.

I have started reading ' A Radical, Comprehensive Call to Holiness '. From what I have read so far, it is one of the most spiritually edifying and helpful books I have read on the Christian life. I hope it is widely promoted. It is idea for both family worship and also as a solid instruction work on how to spiritually mature in the Christian life.
Excellent, brother. I am so happy to hear you benefited from this volume. This was a source of joy for Barrett and Beeke to work on together. They have the same hopes as you for this book.

It has been since it was still in PDF form when I read it, but I also found it edifying and soul-stirring. It is one I remember that I wanted to lead my wife through. I may add it to our roster once we finish Bavinck's Wonderful Works of God. Thanks for the reminder.

Prices are absurd for this set, but I would not be without it for family instruction: https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?title=Commentary the Holy&author=Matthew Poole&submit=Search&new_used=&currency=USD&binding=&destination=us&st=sr&ac=qr&lang=en

And long out of print is John Trapp's commentary, but it just so happens we are reprinting this valuable commentary on the Scripture.
Order placed :)

There are 4 good questions to ask and discuss when reading any Bible passage, which makes for great study and application:

1. What does this say about God?
2. What does this say about me/people?
3. What does this say about life?
4. How can this be applied?

Wait, you're reprinting John Trapp's full commentary?!?!?! When?!?!

Wait, you're reprinting John Trapp's full commentary?!?!?! When?!?!
It isn't scheduled as of yet.

Before then, we have Goodwin's works coming out in hardcover, Hugh Binning's works, and potentially Thomas Boston's works before then. Boston isn't scheduled either, but it is actively in the process.

Before then, we have Goodwin's works coming out in hardcover, Hugh Binning's works, and potentially Thomas Boston's works before then. Boston isn't scheduled either, but it is actively in the process.
Amen. I always praise God for the ministry of RHB. What a blessing.

If I could make a next 10 year suggestion.
Some works long out of print, but constantly recommended by Dr Beeke and others:

Works of John Howe
Works of William Bridge
Works of Oliver Heywood
Works of Edward Reynolds

these, in my opinion, have been out of print for far too long.

If I could make a next 10 year suggestion.
Some works long out of print, but constantly recommended by Dr Beeke and others:

Works of John Howe
Works of William Bridge
Works of Oliver Heywood
Works of Edward Reynolds

these, in my opinion, have been out of print for far too long.
I already have my sights on William Bridge. It pains me I had to part with my set. Same with Reynolds. Reynolds is in our five-year plan.

I already have my sights on William Bridge. It pains me I had to part with my set. Same with Reynolds. Reynolds is in our five-year plan.

Well how exciting is this! I’m very fortunate to have recently obtained Bridge and some of the Reynolds volumes, but I know how hard they are to come by and how highly praised they are by those who have read them.

I’ve heard mixed things about John Howe, and I understand SDG only did volumes 2 and 4 of Oliver Heywood’s works previously.

Does RHB have any intentions in the next 5 or so years to reprint the works of William Bridge?

Does RHB have any intentions in the next 5 or so years to reprint the works of William Bridge?
It is not officially on the calendar. I am going to pitch WB in a year or so.

I would love to now, but I am involved with another undisclosed individual's collected works that is in the seed stage.

It is not officially on the calendar. I am going to pitch WB in a year or so.

I would love to now, but I am involved with another undisclosed individual's collected works that is in the seed stage.

Out of curiosity, do you discuss big projects with other publishers so that you don’t work on the same thing at the same time?

I don’t want to completely derail the thread though!

Matthew Henry has been my go to for a while. Ryle's books are easier to digest & and he breaks them up into sections convenient to tackle at one time.

When Dr Beeke was speaking at a conference here in New Zealand a couple of years ago he took a few days with his wife to enjoy the Southern Alps in the South Island. Unfortunately he did not get to see our native bird - the Kiwi. If he had seen a Kiwi he would have discovered it has a very unique ... you guessed it..... Beeke :cool:
View attachment 8344
This has been stuck in my head since you posted it. Every time I see his name or one of his books on my shelf (just a few from RHB) I say in my head Beeke’s Beaky.

Order placed :)
Just an update on the seeking after a Family Worship book. Dr. Joel Beeke's "Family Worhsip Bible Guide" is incredible. I did order the first 3 suggestions and they are all very good but the "Family Worship Bible Guide" is a must have in my opinion.

edited: I should note the mom's group at my church (hosted by my wife) is also now planning to use the "Family Worship bible Guide as well!

Last edited:
Thanks for this recommendation brother! I am now looking into purchasing this. A devotional for every chapter in the bible?? This sounds the business for family devotions.

Thanks for this recommendation brother! I am now looking into purchasing this. A devotional for every chapter in the bible?? This sounds the business for family devotions.
It is very very well done. I have not seen anything like it before. For each chapter of bible there is about 2 paragraphs in the guide with about 3-4 questions between the two paragraphs and the head of house can easily expand the paragraphs to teach the family.

I just purchased the Reformation Heritage Study Bible for my wife and the Family Worship book by Dr. Beeke for myself. Maybe I can drop some hints and get her to get me the Family Worship Study Guide.

It is very very well done. I have not seen anything like it before. For each chapter of bible there is about 2 paragraphs in the guide with about 3-4 questions between the two paragraphs and the head of house can easily expand the paragraphs to teach the family.

I have that volume and have enjoyed it. All of the devotional comments are taken directly from Beeke's study Bible. I'm planning to use it as part of my personal devotions next year. Oddly, there is no comment for Daniel 12 - possibly an editing error?

I have that volume and have enjoyed it. All of the devotional comments are taken directly from Beeke's study Bible. I'm planning to use it as part of my personal devotions next year. Oddly, there is no comment for Daniel 12 - possibly an editing error?
I just checked my copy and Daniel 12 is present (p 597). Copyright date is 2016 for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back