Fancy Biblical Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEART4CHRIST

Puritan Board Freshman
I am a grateful reader and proponent of Biblical Theology, but I have to admit lately I have been concerned with the fanciful and lazy ways many modern writers want to "get to Jesus" without properly and honestly handling the text. Maybe there is a thread I can be directed to, or may be there others sharing similar concerns. It just seems to me some imaginations are running wild in this sense. I do think the text will lead to Jesus, eventually, but the homework is not being done to get there. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, that can be a problem. It's relatively easy to convince a Bible teacher or preacher that he should connect the text to Christ. It's harder to train him to do that in a responsible way.

I believe that, in most cases, the greater error is to fail to see Christ at all. So I don't wish to be too critical of teachers who get overeager to make a dubious connection to Jesus. But we should all try hard to make those connections well and fairly, properly handling the text and the full context of Scripture. Strong Bible knowledge and good training in biblical interpretation matter.

I think you hit the nail in the head with making those connections "well". I am leading a church wide study in the book of Proverbs and it was difficult to find Christ-centered material, that did not shoved aside or minimized the Ethics of the book. Quite a few of them just went straight for "someone greater than Solomon is here." And Yes! Someone greater that Solomon is on Proverbs (Christ!), but the path to get there should be walked with no hurries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back