Fasting and praying for the nation of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
There are a few Papuan churches here fasting and praying for the nation Israel during this time of Middle Eastern conflict.

I find this troubling due to some eschatological hopes they have and their lack of prayer for the victims on all sides.

They often quote OT passages about the peace of Sion or praying for the peace of Jerusalem.

Can you help me line up some NT verses next to these OT passages to show that these petitions are made, not for a political nation-state but for the People of God or the Church?

..very irritating....

I think that prayers for peace in the Middle East are appropriate wherever and whenever. I believe God cares for political Israel, even though He has not yet chosen to bring them to faith. The days when they will believe will arrive. Should they not have peace in the meantime?

Romans 10:1-3 and Romans 9:1-7 are helpful. I recently visited a Dispensational-Zionist-ProIsrael church... it does irritate me quite a bit too...

Ask instead that your congregation would pray for ethnic Israel to be SAVED!!! For the "Veil" (2 Corinthians 3:15) to fall off their eyes, and for God to bring about the salvation of ALL the jews (Romans 11;12, 11:25-27)

Also brother, how is all the mission friction stuff going? I hope the God of all peace has given peace between you and your fellow mission workers.

By the way, please let me know if you ever meet Brother Keith Birchley - he is going to PNG to serve as the main teacher/lecturer amongst the Evangelical Students movement.

And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, *Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation. Luke 19:41-44

To my mind the relevant text is Gal 6:15,16. Paul writing to a
gentile church says, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth
anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this
rule, peace be on them, and upon the Israel of God."
This is the true Israel of God.

Romans 10:1-3 and Romans 9:1-7 are helpful. I recently visited a Dispensational-Zionist-ProIsrael church... it does irritate me quite a bit too...

Ask instead that your congregation would pray for ethnic Israel to be SAVED!!! For the "Veil" (2 Corinthians 3:15) to fall off their eyes, and for God to bring about the salvation of ALL the jews (Romans 11;12, 11:25-27)

Also brother, how is all the mission friction stuff going? I hope the God of all peace has given peace between you and your fellow mission workers.

By the way, please let me know if you ever meet Brother Keith Birchley - he is going to PNG to serve as the main teacher/lecturer amongst the Evangelical Students movement.

Hello,

how is all the mission friction stuff going?

It has degenerated. I am looking into other orgs....or being direct-sent from my sending church.

The Israel of God (Gal 6:16), the New Testament Church, always includes some of Israel after the flesh (I Corinthians 10:18). This is taught in Romans 9-11. Gentiles who believe and their children are engrafted among Israel after the flesh who believe and their children, and we have full spiritual equality with them, but we take our name "Israel" from them and much else besides, and from the Israelite par excellence, Christ Himself.

Prayer should be made

1. For the Israel of God, all believers, and all their children- i.e. the Israel that belongs to God, implying that some Jewish "natural branches" do not belong to God.

2. That the unbelieving Israel after the flesh, that does not belong to God, will be brought into the Israel of God as promised in Romans 9-11.

3. That Gentiles who do not belong to the Israel of God will be engrafted.

4. That the Israel of God will take possession of her God-given inheritance by the Holy War of prayer and evangelism. That inhertance is not only the Land of Canaan/Israel/Palestine, which was given to the OT Israel, but is indeed that, plus the rest of the entire Earth.

5. Prayer should particularly made for Arab and Palestinian Christians to.remind your friends that ironically many in Israel after the flesh, however we may wish them well because they are beloved because of the Patriarchs and because Christ came from them, are not of God's Israel, and yet ironically some in those nations that are viewed as enemies of Israel-after-the-flesh, are in the Church, the Israel of God.

Nuance is important in theology.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back