Fasting: Twisting God's Arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Friends. To my shame I have never really fasted. I however am now fasting and what the right mindset.

On the one had it seems by default we are called to fast, but I cant really see how its not me just sort of "twisting the arm" of God, and sort of showing Him "I mean business"... I know it is not those things, but what is the nature of fasting? In my context I have a great need, and so I am praying and fasting, and so my current fast is, as of now, just a time to instead of eating I take that time to pray. Also I have a sense of being really committed and in constant prayer in connection with the situation at hand... But how do I reference this fast as I pray? Shall I say "Look Jesus, I am fasting, I am showing you I need thee more than all else"? Or perhaps "Jesus I beat my body into submission to show you I value you above even food itself"?... Etc.?

Thanks!

Jason,
Fasting is an aid to prayer. It is not for God--it is for you. It helps keep your need before you at all times. When hunger arises, you are to be reminded of the reason that you are fasting, and driven to prayer.

When we fast, we are seeking to afflict and humble ourselves -not, mind you, with that papist whip- acknowledging to the Lord that we need Him, even more than our necessary food. Thus, a fast is spent reviewing our sins, searching out our sins, confessing our sins, forsaking our sins, and crying out to the Lord -not only to forgive us in Christ for our sins- but also to confess that unless it is He Who turns us, we shall not be turned, and that no other source of strength can enable us to a holy endeavor of mortification and obedience. We are not meriting God's justifying favor when we fast, but rather acknowledging that -in ourselves- we have no hope of progress in holiness, and we are expressing such a dependence on the Lord's mecrcy, that we count such times more important than food, etc. Fasting is not intended to be a regular exercise, nor is it usually a public exercise. Sometimes there can be a fast called by a magistrate. Sometimes, the session of a church will call a fast. At other times, we may have some besetting sin that can "only come out by prayer and fasting," as Jesus said to the disciples pertaining to their inability to cast out a devil.

One of the best pieces I've ever read on fasting is found in Volume 11 of Thomas Boston's works, beginning on p. 343: http://archive.org/stream/wholeworksoflate11bost#page/n0/mode/1up

Also good, but not as thorough, are:

Wilhelmus a' Brakel
Samuel Miller
Henry Scudder

but I cant really see how its not me just sort of "twisting the arm" of God, and sort of showing Him "I mean business"

No one can twist the arm of God. He is all powerful and does according to His own will in all things. But His will is so gracious and generous that He gives us suitable helps to assist us in drawing near to Him and calling upon Him. Fasting is a help to prayer. The unity of soul and body is such that the physical feeling of hunger has the ability, with God's blessing, to afflict the soul, pinching us with the hunger and need that we have of the living God; and this in turn may add fervour to prayer. Also, there is an element of "showing God that you mean business." See Genesis 22:12. The Lord knows all things, but He makes a special point of acknowledging Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his only son at God's command as a mark of sincerity and seriousness.

Last edited:
No one can twist the arm of God. He is all powerful and does according to His own will in all things. But His will is so gracious and generous that He gives us suitable helps to assist us in drawing near to Him and calling upon Him. Fasting is a help to prayer. The unity of soul and body is such that the physical feeling of hunger has the ability, with God's blessing, to afflict the soul, pinching us with the hunger and need that we have of the living God; and this in turn may add fervour to prayer. Also, there is an element of "showing God that you mean business." See Genesis 22:12. The Lord knows all things, but He makes a special point of acknowledging Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his only son at God's command as a mark of sincerity and seriousness.

Wow! Thank you!

When hunger arises, you are to be reminded of the reason that you are fasting, and driven to prayer.
This is the key!

Fasting is indeed expected of the believer. This is evident from Matthew 6:16-17, in which Jesus twice states: “when you fast…” the same way he states: “when you give…” and “when you pray…”

Fasting must be done with a spiritual purpose, otherwise it is pointless. That purpose should be decided on before beginning the fast. In your case, the purpose is to pray over a particular matter. When you fast, every time you experience hunger pains it is a reminder that you are fasting for a purpose. Thus, each time you experience hunger: pray.

This is how fasting is an aid to prayer. Fasting must never be done in an attempt to merit with God or to force God into action on our behalf.

For an excellent treatment of fasting, I recommend Donald Whitney's book: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life. It contains a chapter on fasting.

This is the key!

Fasting is indeed expected of the believer. This is evident from Matthew 6:16-17, in which Jesus twice states: “when you fast…” the same way he states: “when you give…” and “when you pray…”

Thanks for your thoughts and the recommendation brother!!

As for one small item you said, that one of th e"proofs" of Fasting is Jesus telling his original audience that "when they fast", and then you deduce that it necessarily follows that applies to the likes of us, but I wonder how then we read Matthew 5:23 ("So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you...")... Thoughts?

As for one small item you said, that one of th e"proofs" of Fasting is Jesus telling his original audience that "when they fast", and then you deduce that it necessarily follows that applies to the likes of us, but I wonder how then we read Matthew 5:23 ("So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you...")... Thoughts?

The principle that we bring gifts to God has not changed.
However, our altar is no longer in the building in which we worship. Instead, our altar is in heaven.

Can some of you with experience in fasting share some practical help? Do you typically fast for whole days, or part days? Certain days of the week, every week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can some of you with experience in fasting share some practical help? Do you typically fast for whole days, or part days? Certain days of the week, every week?

For myself, most often a fast involves going from breakfast until dinner with no food at all (I do allow myself water). I have never fasted for more than 24 hours. If you want to go longer, I recommend working up to it - don't start with a three day fast.
I do not have a certain day of the week that I fast. Instead, I fast when need or opportunity arises. Although, a friend of mine finds more benefit in fasting a certain day every week (Wednesday).
I do not recommend fasting on a day that you will be so busy that you dont really have time for food anyway. This somewhat defeats the purpose. If the day is so jam packed with work or activities, you will not have time to reflect on your reason for fasting. Instead, you are more likely simply to ignore the hunger pains rather than using them as a reminder for some spiritual purpose.

One thought that has occurred, in relation to not fasting on a busy day (all my days are quite full!)- in Matthew 6:17, Christ gives the picture of a fasting disciple going about his day as usual, with anointed head and washed face; which makes me think that even a day full with routine work may still be a day to fast; that our Father sees it, and rewards it. In other words, isn't fasting effectual in and of itself, in a sense. Even through the aggravations of a day of work- never separate from prayer, but effective even when prayer can't be as often or prolonged as we'd like.

And I wanted to say I appreciate Rev. Winzer's post also. It is very cheering and encouraging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back