Fasting. Why do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fasting can drive you to God, it can make you realize something, you can do it to get something out of your life (at least I think so). I couldn't tell you the doctrinal basis on the topic. I can say from personnel experience I often feel better (in a physical/mental/spiritual sense but not in a Pharisaical sense) when I fast than when I eat.

Fasting is one aspect of religious worship (see Westminster Confession Chapter XXI and the Scripture proofs).

While there is no ritual, one practical way is to fast with specific prayer requests/objectives, write them down.

Drink water, but abstain from food for 2/3 of a day (e.g. fast until 5pm). Prayer regularly and meditate on the Word. This can be done even through a workday.

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

Scripture Proofs

[24] JOE 2:12 Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning. EST 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish. MAT 9:15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. 1CO 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

Ames:

Book 2, Chapter 9: Prayer

72. Petition is twofold according to the object or thing which is asked. It is praying either for or against - either apprecation or deprecation.

74. Deprecation is petition that evil things be removed. Intercession is connected with these (1 Tim 2:1) and is a special form of supplication occurring when the evil we desire to be removed lies in some injury done by men.

79. Sometimes fasting is added to deprecation as an external accompaniment.

80. Fasting is abstinence from the helps and comforts of this life in which humanity is shown in genuine confession and by which we are better equipped to make effectual prayers. (1 Cor 7:5; Joel 1:14-16; Dan 9:2,3)

81. Fasting by itself is not a good work nor part of our obedience towards God, but it helps us make free, ardent, and more continued prayers.

82. The same manner and time for fasting are not equally profitable and necessary to all.

83. Finally, fasting is most religious when the whole mind is so attentive to seeking God that it is called away from the thought and care of the things of this present life.

Fasting is annexed to prayer as a help especially when we pray for the removal of some calamity.

I would not at all be surprised to know that Richard Baxter dealt with this topic in his Christian Directory. You could probably find it at digitalpuritan.com.

The puritan-era divine Henry Scudder has an excellent section on fasting in Christian Daily Walk -- recommendations for preparations, participation, etc. (BTW, this book is excellent as a general guide but could be deadly if taken in a legalistic sense.)

I fast for a very simple reason: I love God and want to be closer to Him. Sometimes I pray for a specific reason, such as the day we thought my husband's job might be on the line. But prayer and fellowship with God are the primary reasons seen in scripture. Among other things, the discipline has shown me my moment-to-moment dependence upon God, my true place as a sinner before God, and a better capability to distinguish between real needs and mere wants.

Generally, I try to make sure my families needs are prepared ahead of time, then excuse myself as much as possible from the daily life of the family. Saturdays are the most practical for this, and most often I will fast in preparation for the Lord's table on the following day. After making some ongoing changes to lower my exposure to triggers for migraine headaches, I am finally able to participate in this discipline again and am grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back