Favorite Beatles Album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't the Beatles say they were going to be more popular than Christianity?

Most are all dead now, aren't they?

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Didn't the Beatles say they were going to be more popular than Christianity?

Most are all dead now, aren't they?

Yes, tough choice. I chose Abbey Road, mostly because that is the ablum that I've listened to over and over and over and over and over....I think you get the idea. It's just the Beatle ablum that I've listened to the most and I've listen to a lot of them.

The Beatles are my favorite popular band by far, but I love Johnny Cash too...I know...I'm weird.

About the Beatles' popularity...Lennon said at one time, and it was very early in their careers, probably 1965, that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. At that moment, with many young people, they might have been.

Harrison died a few years ago...cancer I think. Lennon was shot by a fan.

Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney still perfrom, but not together, of course. Actually, McCartney is making some of his better music right now.

Easy choice: "Hard Day's Night"
I can't think of a single song on that album that I fast-forward past.

Second choice: "Meet the Beatles"
(I have this first American album of theirs as an LP . . . It's a fun album!)

Originally posted by Ivan
What about Stuart?

A bitter man.

Very. 'Course I can hardly blame him. He worked for years in an English motor vehicle administration, giving out drivers' licenses. Last I heard though, he was trying to make a bit of money off his brief association with the band.

Kind of sad though. He just wasn't a very good drummer, but well-liked and it was difficult for the band members to tell him he was fired. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't take it too hard at the time because he didn't think the Beatles would go very far.

BTW, I'm also kind of surprised at the popularity of "Abbey Road" on this bb. Interesting. But it's my least favorite album of theirs. I like it even less than "Magical Mystery Tour." But I'd have thought "Sgt. Peppers" would, as in most other similar questionaires, outdo all others.

"Revolver" is perhaps their least known "post-Dylan" album, but I think their best. "Sgt. Peppers" was sheer genius - especially in Paul's bass work - but I think Yoko was too involved. And "Revolver" really laid the groundwork for that album. (Along with some mind-altering substances.)

Just a bit of useless information stored in an old ex-hippie's head.

Originally posted by Globachio
Originally posted by Ivan
What about Stuart?

A bitter man.

Very. 'Course I can hardly blame him. He worked for years in an English motor vehicle administration, giving out drivers' licenses. Last I heard though, he was trying to make a bit of money off his brief association with the band.

Kind of sad though. He just wasn't a very good drummer, but well-liked and it was difficult for the band members to tell him he was fired. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't take it too hard at the time because he didn't think the Beatles would go very far.

BTW, I'm also kind of surprised at the popularity of "Abbey Road" on this bb. Interesting. But it's my least favorite album of theirs. I like it even less than "Magical Mystery Tour." But I'd have thought "Sgt. Peppers" would, as in most other similar questionaires, outdo all others.

"Revolver" is perhaps their least known "post-Dylan" album, but I think their best. "Sgt. Peppers" was sheer genius - especially in Paul's bass work - but I think Yoko was too involved. And "Revolver" really laid the groundwork for that album. (Along with some mind-altering substances.)

Just a bit of useless information stored in an old ex-hippie's head.

Aren't you thinking of Pete Best? Stuart was the bassist.

Aren't you thinking of Pete Best? Stuart was the bassist.

Yes! You're correct. Sorry about that.

Who was it that was "supposed" to have had a homosexual affair with Lennon .. Stuart or Best?

Who was it that was "supposed" to have had a homosexual affair with Lennon .. Stuart or Best?

I assume that would be Sutcliffe, they spent a lot of time together in art school...

Originally posted by SharperSword

I assume that would be Sutcliffe, they spent a lot of time together in art school...

Wasn't it the manager of the Beatles...Brian Epstein, I think.

It is between Abbey Road and the White Album. I picked Abbey Road for this poll.

It also wins for best cover art.

I liked the cover so much I staged four of my groomsemen at my wedding in Abbey Road Funeral procession with my [then] church in the background. It worked, but it could have been better (I forgot to bring the album with me to compare "“ I had a lot on my mind that day).

I'm a little surprised by how well-liked Abbey Road is. I started out liking their early rock 'n' roll stuff, and I own a few of the early American LP's on vinyl. My journey through their corpus has moved progressively from earliest to latest. Maybe I'll like Abbey Road some day...

Brian

Magical Mystery Tour was left off. It's definitely better than many of those listed although I don't know if many would vote it #1. (I think it came out before Sgt. Pepper's and it has Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus, among other classics). When I was really into this stuff years ago, I think I played it more than Sgt. Peppers, which I think is a little overrated although it was considered great at the time. I don't know that the songwriting on it is any better than many of the others. I probably played the White Album as much as any of them and preferred it to Sgt. Pepper's. Yellow Submarine was kind of a throwaway album. No doubt, Abbey Road does have some great songs and still sounds great today.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Magical Mystery Tour was left off. It's definitely better than many of those listed although I don't know if many would vote it #1. (I think it came out before Sgt. Pepper's and it has Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus, among other classics).

It was released after sgt. Pepper's. I think - but not sure - that some of the songs were recorded prior to Pepper's, but MMT was released afterwards. The only Beatles album that was considered a failure, MMT was a continuation of the Beatles "psychedlic" period. Thankfully they left most that nonsense behind and released "The White Album" afterwards (a *great* album but, unfortunately, contains "Revolution #9" - a holdover of the psychedelic influence).

There were also a number of "psychadelic" ripoffs. E.g., the Stones "His Satanic Majesty's Request" - a truly horrible album. But then also Eric Bourdon & the Animals released "Winds of Change" which I still very much enjoy (the bassist on that album - I forget his name at the moment - was truly phenomenal).

However the best of that time was, in my opinion, the Jimmi Hendrix Experience's release of "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love." Both classics.

Originally posted by Globachio
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Magical Mystery Tour was left off. It's definitely better than many of those listed although I don't know if many would vote it #1. (I think it came out before Sgt. Pepper's and it has Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus, among other classics).

It was released after sgt. Pepper's. I think - but not sure - that some of the songs were recorded prior to Pepper's, but MMT was released afterwards. The only Beatles album that was considered a failure, MMT was a continuation of the Beatles "psychedlic" period. Thankfully they left most that nonsense behind and released "The White Album" afterwards (a *great* album but, unfortunately, contains "Revolution #9" - a holdover of the psychedelic influence).

There were also a number of "psychadelic" ripoffs. E.g., the Stones "His Satanic Majesty's Request" - a truly horrible album. But then also Eric Bourdon & the Animals released "Winds of Change" which I still very much enjoy (the bassist on that album - I forget his name at the moment - was truly phenomenal).

However the best of that time was, in my opinion, the Jimmi Hendrix Experience's release of "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love." Both classics.

I voted for the White Album, BTW. I thinking the MMT film was considered a failure more than the record, which has a lot of hit singles on it. (Of course I wasn't there and only started getting into this stuff in the early 90's). I agree, Hendrix was great, really the apex of the psychedelic thing, along with the Floyd. "Electric Ladyland" is great too, although a little less song oriented. Some of Zep's early stuff was "psychedelic" too, especially Dazed and Confused.

I went to boot camp in the summer of 67, and 'Lovely Rita the Meter Maid' played in my head everytime we marched somewhere, which was all the time and everywhere. Sgt Pepper's gets my vote for purely nostalgic reasons (and it was easy to march to, if you remembered to start on the left foot.)

Of course, I think several of their albums have different tracks for England and the US, probably moreso the earlier ones.

Originally posted by Mr Peabody
er. right foot. and isn't that 'Meet the Beatles' instead of 'With the Beatles'?

I think "Meet the Beatles" was the American Capitol records release, which was a rearranged version of the British "With the Beatles" LP.

I got the white album for my birthday. in my opinion, excellent through and through!

Brian

I voted for Sargeant Pepper's, which is a 4-track masterpiece, but was tempted to vote for Revolver. I really like Magical Mystery Tour as well. I like all the early albums. White album is kinda weird, and McCartney dominates too much on the later albums, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back